General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations about different grips

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Observations about different grips

After seeing a number of posts talking about hand cramps in the throttle hand while riding I just wanted to share some recent experiences. I've put ISO grips on one motorcycle (Sportster), and on another (Springer Classic) I initially put on the HD black cushion grips and recently switched those to the HD chrome and rubber horizontal grips. Despite the talk about the ISO grips being comfortable, I was still having a problem with hand cramps on longer rides. The cushion grips on the Sprinter were better, but still not "perfect". I've actually found the chrome and rubber grips to be most comfortable despite having a lot less cushion to them than the other two.

The reason is the friction that the latest grips offer by having raised rubber bars with sharper edges allows me to relax my hand more without worrying about the throttle sliding back. The ISO grips have smooth, soft rubber with rounded edges that offer very little friction so I feel like I have to grip them tighter to keep the throttle open. I know the throttle boss is a solution to this, but I'm not sure how great that would be for local riding. The black cushion grips had some texture, but it was still not quite enough to really relax my hand.

In any case, I just figured I'd throw that observation out there.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 AM
Dyna_Soar
Banned
Default RE: Observations about different grips

That makes sense to me. I will give it a try. I tried jockeying the friction lock but that didn't help.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
By the way Tralfaz...your name... A Jetson's fan?&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 01:10 AM
rborsholm
Advanced

Actually I found that the throttle boss on the ISO's was great on trips or around town.&nbsp\\; Once you get it in the right place you can just rest your hand on it and use more your wrist to keep the throttle open.&nbsp\\; I did a long ride averaging about 600 miles for 8 days and my hand was never sore..&nbsp\\; Just bought a pair for my new Ultra and will be putting them on before going to Sturgis again..

Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Dibbs
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz

The reason is the friction that the latest grips offer by having raised rubber bars with sharper edges allows me to relax my hand more without worrying about the throttle sliding back. The ISO grips have smooth, soft rubber with rounded edges that offer very little friction so I feel like I have to grip them tighter to keep the throttle open. I know the throttle boss is a solution to this, but I'm not sure how great that would be for local riding. The black cushion grips had some texture, but it was still not quite enough to really relax my hand.

In any case, I just figured I'd throw that observation out there.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I got similar results when I changed to the diamond plate grips.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;They're more comfortable than stock and it seems to take less grip to move and hold the throttle.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dibbs

I got similar results when I changed to the diamond plate grips. They're more comfortable than stock and it seems to take less grip to move and hold the throttle.
+1

Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just flip the little switch labeled CRUISE and continue on....

Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did completely away with the rubber on my grips on both bikes. I bought HD chrome billet with the rough finish in the grip part. I wear gloves anytime I ride and the gloves maintain good friction contact with these grips. I was wearing away the rubber on a pair of grips per year till I changed over. Now I go through a pair of gloves a year. Easier to change gloves than grips. The grips have been on the bikes for over two years now. I looked at other grips but these HD grips locked into the clamps on the handle bars and weren't glued. I just don't like glue on my grips. It doesn't bother other people and they have had good luck with it but I have had a grip turn loose in the past.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Dyna_Soar
By the way Tralfaz...your name... A Jetson's fan?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Yep.&nbsp\\; \\