General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riders with Back problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008 | 06:32 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Default RE: Riders with Back problems

Chronic back pain for 39 years (thanks "charlie") but I've ridden Big FL's ever since I was 13. I bought an 05 EGC new in the fall of 04 and still ride it. A trip to Tennessee and back last August involved a couple 10+ hour days. Very comfortable, no undue pain or stress......stock everything. I ride every chance I get year round.

Old 06-24-2008 | 06:50 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

I disagree with the poster who stated that you should stay away from other than the touring models. For me the bike does not matter as long as I can change leg positions frequently.
&nbsp\\;
Highway pegs are essential and a back rest helps on long trips. I have used a t-bag on the passenger seat for a back rest and my longest trips have been on a softail (FXSTC, no less). I find the forward controls along with the highway pegs to work well.
&nbsp\\;
I also use a Corbin seat on my softail but I think the leg positions are more important than the seat for a bad back. Just my experience.

Old 06-24-2008 | 06:53 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member

Tempurpedic matress, hot tub, Mean City mod to stock seat, adjustable backrest, stretching, adjust bars, lighter helmet, soften up airshocks.

Old 06-24-2008 | 07:19 PM
fxrsjohn
Cruiser

I have had two surgeries for Lumbar problems. I have a mustang seat, buckhorn handlebars and forward controls on my FXRS. On short rides around town the seat has enough support and I can sit up comfortably with the fwd controls and handlebars I have. On longer rides I either have my t-bag packed and flipped around on my backseat or pack a duffel behind me and use it for a back rest. It does also help to change my foot position periodically.

Old 06-24-2008 | 07:27 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

Two ruptured neck disks at C3/4 and C6/7 that I received on duty with the PD, and a compression fracture at T-12 that I received coming off a horse. Before I got my riders adjustabel backrest on my Ultra, I was in slight pain after and hour or so, and alot of pain after two hours. Put the adjustable back rest on, along with a set of highway pegs, and just did 3000 mile trip to Texas in 4 days of riding (2 down, 4 partying, 2 back) without the slightest back problems. Now instead of my back, it is my *** is the limiting factor of my long rides, so will be looking hard at the Air seat HD has.

Old 06-24-2008 | 07:28 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I've had three surgeries in the L4/5 S1 area.&nbsp\\; I rode the touring seat for Dyna's with backrest and now have the Mustang with backrest.&nbsp\\; Both were good, Mustang is better.&nbsp\\;
I've got Kury extended controls with heel sturrups, so there is a lot of leg movement possible.

Old 06-24-2008 | 09:38 PM
Bluerose

&nbsp\\;Really depends on your riding and your back issue.&nbsp\\; I have a heriated disk in L5/S1.
&nbsp\\;
I had a Deluxe (softail) that seemed to be OK for a bit but I just could not get it comfortable and the suspension was killing me.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I lost quite a bit changing from a softail to a touring bike.&nbsp\\; The suspension made all the difference in the world for me.&nbsp\\; The backrest is a bonus though I had something setup for the Deluxe.
&nbsp\\;
Local rides = Dyna or Softail
Good Dual purpose = RoadKing or Street Glide
Practical touring = Ultra&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; (though I ride mine daily)
&nbsp\\;
Don't let the counter balanced motor lull you in to a softail they do have a buzz at high speed....
&nbsp\\;
After having both I would go for the Touring right off if I had to do it again.