General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Alone:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:37 PM
ghostd00d
|
Cruiser
Default Riding Alone:(

I rode for many years as a young man and when my kids were born I pacified my wife and gave it up with the understanding that when the kids were grown I would go back to doing what I love.&nbsp\\; Soooooooooooooo, at the age of 54&nbsp\\; I purchased my 06 Lowrider about 6 months ago and since then have tried every thing I can think of to meet people to ride with.&nbsp\\; Unfortunateley I don't have any tattoos, my wife does not wear buttless chaps with a thong to HD events, I quit smoking 6 months ago and I dont have a 20 year old vest with 100 different patches on it.&nbsp\\; I decided with my gray hair that a beard wasnt really the thing for me and yes on Monday I actually do have to join corporate America to make a living and pay for my obsession with chrome.&nbsp\\; So what I find is me, myself, and I out riding.&nbsp\\;And it is getting lonely.&nbsp\\;I went to a sponsored HD event here in Northern California this weekend and quickly figured out it was better to keep a low profile as the Hells Angels and Nomads seemed to be sponsering the event at a HD showroom.&nbsp\\; So the question is this.....how do you meet new people to ride with if you do not fit the "biker" profile?&nbsp\\; I would love to have some folks to ride with without having to wear a "prospect" patch first.&nbsp\\; I tried to join the local HOG chapter but of course the HD internet site was screwed up.&nbsp\\; I love my bike...I love riding my bike.....but it does not define who I am.
&nbsp\\;
Just ranting............

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:44 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master
Default RE: Riding Alone:(

It certainly couldn't be your approach. How about dropping the labels and just enjoy the lifestyle. Some of the best people I ever met were hard core "looking" bikers. Get past the hard looks and they are kind hearted family folks.

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:53 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

Some of the best people I ever met were hard core "looking" bikers. Get past the hard looks and they are kind hearted family folks. +1

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:53 PM
ghostd00d
|
Cruiser

Ya know that would be a great thing wouldn't it?&nbsp\\; Kind of hard to do when you are totally ignored by those that don't see you as in the right "lifestyle"&nbsp\\; So I guess the same could be said for them.&nbsp\\; Stop judging people by their look.&nbsp\\; I am totally agreeable to accept anybody for who they are.&nbsp\\; Unfortunately I don't think they believe the way you and I do.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:54 PM
jason628
Road Warrior

Greetings,
&nbsp\\;
The people I ride with look like hard core people, but have corporate America jobs...Like Nuclear Scientist, English Professor, and Office Manager. I met these people through various events the local dealer would put on several years ago. The next event your dealer has, go to it. Talk to the people about the common thread: Motorcycles. You'd be surprised. You'll find people to ride with and maybe even learn a new route or 2 in the process.

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:56 PM
Hangfire1
Tourer

Some are nice hearted folks, I've got plenty of "biker looking" friends who are. Others deserve the reputation they have. jmho...

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:59 PM
ghostd00d
|
Cruiser

Look....I am not trying to start a **** storm here and if what I said was offensive I apoligize.&nbsp\\; I have tried but it seems I am somewhat intimidated by those who are wearing a Hells Angel patch on their jacket.&nbsp\\; Sorry.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Let me rephrase this....What is the best way for a newbie to get to know local riders and join in on the experiance of group riding.&nbsp\\; I need some direction.&nbsp\\; I am tired of waving to others when all I want to do is turn around and join them.&nbsp\\; And I dont give a crap what they look like.

Old 06-22-2008 | 10:01 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

I met a new friend just today. He was pretty backwards, and I consider myself the "not" approachable type. He liked my bike, and asked me about it. We hit it off, and I foresee plenty of rides together now.

Old 06-22-2008 | 10:05 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ghostd00d

Look....I am not trying to start a **** storm here and if what I said was offensive I apoligize. \\\\\\; I have tried but it seems I am somewhat intimidated by those who are wearing a Hells Angel patch on their jacket. \\\\\\; Sorry. \\\\\\;
\\\\\\;
Let me rephrase this....What is the best way for a newbie to get to know local riders and join in on the experiance of group riding. \\\\\\; I need some direction. \\\\\\; I am tired of waving to others when all I want to do is turn around and join them. \\\\\\; And I dont give a crap what they look like.
You didn't offend me man. I know it's an ad on hdforums so I'll give up the address. I've found that the social network bikerornot.com can connect you to many riders in your area, and inform you of organized rides around where you live.

Old 06-22-2008 | 10:06 PM
Draxs
Advanced

You don't need to use the internet to join a HOG chapter. I didn't. That being said, I find riding by myself is more enjoyable than riding with a bunch of fat balding men who are trying to reclaim their youth. I'm 57 and the organized HOG rides are not for me. Good luck in finding yourself.

Quick Reply: Riding Alone:(