General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Alone:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008 | 04:45 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Riding Alone:(

Start with the local HOG chapter but don't expect them to invite you to dinner or kiss your hind end just because you bought a Harley. They all bought at least one. If you bought into the "family" marketing crap the MOCO puts out, you will be disappointed.

We recently had a new buyer whine to the dealer that the chapter seemed "standoffish". The local chapter is about the friendliest gabbiest bunch of people you will ever run across. But you got to meet them half way. And they don't suffer fools gladly. I joined in 03 and only went to HOG after I learned how not to kill myself on my bike. I met a few, went on some rides, met more, went on longer rides, volunteered for events, etc. Some of them now are closer than family.

Great relationships are built over a long period of time. There are about 10 - 15 of them I will ride with anywhere, anytime, in any weather. Some of the group are casual acquaintences. Some of the group are a waste of space.

Don't hide in the bushes, introduce yourself around, VOLUNTEER, etc.

Also when you are out riding you will run into folks just about everywhere that will want to talk about bikes. I have met some great people on the road and at Sturgis. Some I have not seen in person in 5 years but we still stay in contact.

Old 06-24-2008 | 04:56 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned

ORIGINAL: BCguy

Different strokes for different folks but I've never understood the 'pack ride' philosophy. I LIKE to ride by myself - I can go as fast or slow as a I want, I can stop when I want, I can detour off in a different direction if I want. I love to talk to fellow bikers when we meet at rest stops but I never feel the need to ride with them.

Just enjoy the ride\\\\\\; you don't need company to do it.
&nbsp\\;
I feel exactly the same. I want to ride like I want&nbsp\\;to without having to speed up and slow down and change lanes and use hand signals, and stopping when the other person gets hungry, needs gas, or has to pee. I find that I either want to ride alone at my own pace, or ride in a group of hundreds, where you aren't expected to maintain any sort of formation riding. I do like to socialize with other bikers, but formation riding is just too much hassle.

Old 06-24-2008 | 05:46 PM
chuck2000RK
Road Captain

go to the main forum page. scroll on down and you will find a section with forums dedicated to areas of the us. look in your section and look for rides. i did that and i found a great group of guys to ride with. i was in the same boat and had no one to ride with untill now.

Old 06-24-2008 | 06:13 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master

I ride solo most of the time by choice. May join a local HOG group and meet up for a ride here and there. Not much more as they are a tad older than I from what I have seen. Don't even own a vest! [8D]

Poker runs&nbsp\\;are always a nice way to meet folks and have fun.

Old 06-24-2008 | 07:53 PM
Harley Stan
Tourer

I used to ride alone alot until I was chatting with the Vetrinarian one day.&nbsp\\; Next thing I know I am teaching him to ride.&nbsp\\; He now has over 1000 miles on his Yamaha.&nbsp\\; You never know who you will meet.&nbsp\\; If you ever get out to Colorado send me a message.&nbsp\\; I ride almost every weekend.

Old 06-24-2008 | 10:22 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

If I am trying to make any miles and go somewhere I ride alone.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;A group can not go 25 miles without a MAJOR STOP!&nbsp\\;[:@]&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; A Christmas toy run is about the extent of my group rides.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;But it`s&nbsp\\;what ever floats your boat.&nbsp\\; Good luck. to ya!

Old 06-24-2008 | 11:47 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned

ORIGINAL: HRLYSG

I ride solo most of the time by choice. May join a local HOG group and meet up for a ride here and there. Not much more as they are a tad older than I from what I have seen. Don't even own a vest! [8D]

Poker runs&nbsp\\;are always a nice way to meet folks and have fun.
&nbsp\\;
OK, I am going to sound stupid and reveal my&nbsp\\;ignorance and confess here, (and NOT at the Dealership where they will probably roll their eyes) ..... but ... What exactly is a Poker Run?
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008 | 10:31 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Dyna_Soar

ORIGINAL: HRLYSG

Poker runs&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;are always a nice way to meet folks and have fun.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
OK, I am going to sound stupid and reveal my&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;ignorance and confess here, (and NOT at the Dealership where they will probably roll their eyes) ..... but ... What exactly is a Poker Run?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
A Poker Run is a group ride with various stops where you pick up a playing card the object being to make the best poker hand and win a prize at the end of the ride.&nbsp\\; A typical poker run will start at a local bar where you have some drinks, the rules are read but not listened to, more drinks are had, you get your first card and then ride to the next destination, usually a bar where you have more drinks and pick up your next card.&nbsp\\; This continues for several more stops, usually bars where more drinks are had and more cards are picked up. The time-tested strategy for making the most out of a poker run is to hang back and let as many riders proceed ahead of you.&nbsp\\; This not only allows you to drink more, but increases your odds of coming up on other riders who have wrecked their bikes where you lend assistance by picking up their loose parts and stuffing them in your saddlebags. These parts will come in handy at the end of the poker run, usually a bar where you receive your 5th and final card.&nbsp\\; Sometimes the rules allow you to buy an extra card or two, but again tradition dictates that you cheat with your riding buddies to make the best hand.&nbsp\\; After several more drinks, the stragglers with wrecked bikes usually show up complaining about the bitch that cut them off forcing them to lay down their bike (translation, a squirrel ran out in the road and they locked up their front brake).&nbsp\\; This your opportunity to sell them that left hand mirror for a 96 Fat Boy you just happen to have in your saddlebag.&nbsp\\; The event wraps up with rider who has the best poker hand winning a T-shirt and a coupon for 10% of f his next oil change at the local dealership.

Old 06-25-2008 | 11:33 AM
celticgent
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

I like riding with my friends but I quickly found I wouldn't ride much if I waited through all of their excuses and other priorities.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Most, not all, of my friends with bikes seem to only want to ride when there is a group and/or a specific destination.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I've come to enjoy just going out by myself with no particular place to go.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; However, if it weren't for my riding friends, I probably would have never caught the Harley bug.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I'm not big on clubs or rallies or bike nights.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I have nothing against them, they just aren't my thing.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I still go to a rally or 2 a year but have never been a member of a club except for my 1st year of complimentary HOG membership.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; With that said, though, something like that might be a good starting point to find some friends with similar interests.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
this is pretty much my story too.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
my buddies are always busy...even when we MAKE plans we end up leaving late&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;or coming back early and having to go somplace to pick up something stupid.......and don't even talk to me about stopping to use their cellphone every goddammed half hour...
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
that's why i do 98% of my riding solo...
1% with my old lady&nbsp\\;riding pillion&nbsp\\;who thinks she likes to ride but gets tired and/or hurty after an hour or two...
&nbsp\\;
and the other 1% sitting around my buddy's house waiting for him to finish a chore for his wife or showering, etc....
&nbsp\\;
BAH

&nbsp\\;
i like riding my own ride, not worrying about stopping unless I need to stop....not worrying about having to slow down so slowpokes can catch up...not worrying about waiting so people can 'check in' with their spouse on a cellphone....
&nbsp\\;
of course i fully admit i'm a selfish, self-centered *****, so take it for what it's worth..

Old 06-25-2008 | 11:50 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ghostd00d

ORIGINAL: trafficjams

ORIGINAL: ghostd00d

Look....I am not trying to start a **** storm here and if what I said was offensive I apoligize.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I have tried but it seems I am somewhat intimidated by those who are wearing a Hells Angel patch on their jacket.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Sorry.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
Let me rephrase this....What is the best way for a newbie to get to know local riders and join in on the experiance of group riding.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I need some direction.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I am tired of waving to others when all I want to do is turn around and join them.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; And I dont give a crap what they look like.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;
ok... i'll feed into your "**** storm"... you've got hangups there friend. get over yourself.
referring to your other posts, just how many "events" have you been to?? one?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\; two? in your first post, you state that you keep a "low profile". how do you expect to meet anyone like that? do you think they are gonna roll out the red carpet when you arrive? are you that self-centered?
so my advice is to put a smile on that low profile face of yours and go start talking about bikes at whatever screwy events you may be attending and find the "common thread" that another poster has mentioned here.
and btw... aint nobody gonna slap a "prospect" designation on your azz&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;unless you deserve it.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
and btw... aint nobody gonna slap a "prospect" designation on your azz&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;unless you deserve it.

First off...don't deserve it....don't want it....aint me.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; GOT IT?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Not here to prove how tough I am...not here to impress anyone.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; All I want is someone to ride with....and by your post you just reinforce the stigma that I need to somehow prove my "worthiness" to ride with you.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I rest my case.
First thing, if you get that opinionated in the forum, you might want to temper it in public.&nbsp\\; But, with that said, just moved to a new state three years ago.&nbsp\\; None of my riding buddies moved when I did, so there I was, riding alone.&nbsp\\; Some suggestions, look for local watering holes where bikes hang out.&nbsp\\; You don't have to drink alcohol, just find them, buy a soda and start talking.&nbsp\\; Also, if it is a "biker" hang out, there should be run flyers, lots of 'em.&nbsp\\; Go on a run, find another guy who looks alone, strike up some conversation.&nbsp\\; Ask if he minds if you ride beside him on the run.&nbsp\\; Most likely, if he is alone, he'll be happy to pair up for the ride so he isn't "alone" either.&nbsp\\; Just look for events that involve people, go out and meet some of them.&nbsp\\; After three years here, I have too many people to ride with .......................

Quick Reply: Riding Alone:(