General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Alone:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008 | 11:30 PM
hdtwice
Road Master
Default RE: Riding Alone:(

Hey Ghost, you say you are in N. Calif.......be a little more specific...I am in the Fairfield/Travis AFB area and have been riding a little over 20 years.&nbsp\\; I commute 3x a week, then whatever I can on the weekends.&nbsp\\; If you are close enough, I'll show you some of the better rodes for riders and places to visit.&nbsp\\;
Again...where are you?

Old 06-22-2008 | 11:43 PM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

I am in Arizona.&nbsp\\; Go to your region's forum, and create a ride plan and invite people in your area to join you.&nbsp\\; Try it more than once if no takers the first time.&nbsp\\; On the southwest forum, 2of2 did just that, and we joined him.&nbsp\\; That first ride I think we had 4&nbsp\\;bikes.&nbsp\\; Now we ride together every other week. (or more).&nbsp\\; We are up to a group of about 10 bikes, with 2 more joining us next weekend, and possibly even more than that, who haven't commited yet.&nbsp\\; Not all of the bikes/bikers make it to every ride, but whoever can make it does.
&nbsp\\;
See the southwest forum, Arizona Ride, AZ ride #2, #3, and #4 to see all the riders and posts of pics we took while riding together.&nbsp\\; These people are all great riders, good people, businessmen and women... some look more like "bikers" than others.&nbsp\\; And we all like being together and riding together.&nbsp\\; Again, try the forum, stick with it and good luck.
&nbsp\\;
Another idea, your local dealers' Bike Night.&nbsp\\; Usually at a restaurant/bar... go, introduce yourself, talk bikes, etc.&nbsp\\; In the meantime, enjoy your bike.

Old 06-22-2008 | 11:44 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

There ya go.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008 | 11:51 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

Welcome back ghost. Head on down to the regional forums here at HDF. Should be under the Pacific region.

Linky: https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_229/tt.htm

Start up a thread down there. Post your region city and introduce yourself. Met a few cool guys going on a ride planned in SoCal there.

Old 06-23-2008 | 12:01 AM
K00LJerk
Road Captain

Its like the hot chick conundrum, they complain guys are too intimidated to talk to em. Just walk up and start talking bikes you'll find most riders a receptive audience .Hang out at the dealers on weekends when they're doin free hotdogs you'll meet a lot of outstanding folks that just like to ride.

Old 06-23-2008 | 01:36 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master

well, you live in mantica, apparently, which is a little out of the way, but i have heard good things about the port stocton motorcycle club http://www.mnmshadow.com/psmc/ .

you should check out their website. looks like they have open public meetings on tuesday evenings.

they may or may not be the right folks for you, but i think from there, you will prob meet some nice folks, and find out about some other local motorcycle events and stuff.

now i warn you, there may be non harleys there. if that scares you, then the corporation has the HOG for your harley-only enjoyment, but if your are into motorcycles, you might find a more heterogenious environment to be less restrictive.

take a tuesday evening and check it out. let us know what you think.

Old 06-23-2008 | 01:39 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MTBlood

It certainly couldn't be your approach. How about dropping the labels and just enjoy the lifestyle. Some of the best people I ever met were hard core "looking" bikers. Get past the hard looks and they are kind hearted family folks.
&nbsp\\;
How true - a great observation.........

Old 06-23-2008 | 05:46 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Well, first thing you have to understand is most people are just like you. That even includes the Hell's Angels. If you start a conversation with them they'll be friendly and polite, but if you go about your way they will assume you don't want to be bothered. You have a ready made topic of conversation, their bikes. It's everyone's pride and joy. They want you to ask about their bike, they want to talk about it.
&nbsp\\;
Then there's the rest of the world. Don't just ride through it, explore it, learn it. Some towns are friendly, some towns aren't and some are downright hostile. Some towns while I stop, get some gas, drink a soda 4-5 people will start conversations with me. Those are the towns I stop in. I may have just stopped for gas the first time, but I'll stop at the dinners, the bakery, browse through the local stores after that. Going where bikers are and talking to them will find you someone to ride with, but knowing your way around gives people a reason to ride with you.

Old 06-23-2008 | 06:08 AM
ghostd00d
|
Cruiser

&nbsp\\;
I am in the Stockton area.&nbsp\\; Open to anyideas.
&nbsp\\;
ORIGINAL: hdtwice

Hey Ghost, you say you are in N. Calif.......be a little more specific...I am in the Fairfield/Travis AFB area and have been riding a little over 20 years.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I commute 3x a week, then whatever I can on the weekends.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If you are close enough, I'll show you some of the better rodes for riders and places to visit.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Again...where are you?

Old 06-23-2008 | 06:46 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Buy all your friends bikes and you'll have plenty of riding company.&nbsp\\; Or if you're lucky like me they'll all go out and buy their own.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Since I got mine in Oct,&nbsp\\; four of my friends are now riding their own bikes.
&nbsp\\;
And now that&nbsp\\;the wife has her own I suppose I have a permanent riding partner.&nbsp\\; Hopefully I won't be longing to be in your situation someday

Quick Reply: Riding Alone:(