General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wife will not ride with me

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: My wife will not ride with me

I read the title of your post to my wife when she walked by and her response was, What, is she retarded or something?&nbsp\\;Sorry if she really is.[]

Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
grumpa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

&nbsp\\;I don't want any body back there. And I told my daughters to stay off the back of their OM's bike . get your own.
If you screw up ,you take both of you down. and it goes for the passenger as well , if she gets a bug up her *** , in her hair or bra and jumps around&nbsp\\; she could take both down .
be happy shes not back there.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: GeorgiaGirl

Some of these comments are great.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; &nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I always particularly love the one about, "Your wife needs to know her place."&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; (Insert swagger). You mean, I have a "place"?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
But I digress.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; &nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I am assuming Teagan that the bike in your sig is what you're riding and asking your wife to ride on the back of.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I don't see a sissy bar and pad on it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Do you have one?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Either way, I can tell you that riding two up on those small pillion pads, even with a sissy bar and pad is not the most comfortable or secure feeling and I for sure wouldn't want to have to do it for any length of time.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Gain some experience and increase the comfort level for her and you might find a change of heart.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Also, have some talks with her about mindset on the bike.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; She needs to take in the sights, sounds and smells that you miss in a cage and not be focused on everything that could go wrong.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Hopefully she'll come around but be realistic as it may just never be her thing. Keep the shiny side up.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
Now my wife knows "her place"! Its right in my right hand mirror riding her own bike that I paid for, I wash, I maintain, and that I buy the accessories for. Come to think of it now, maybe I know "my place".

Old 06-24-2008, 04:34 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

&nbsp\\;Be glad!!!!!!!!!!!!! However&nbsp\\;one thing I'd like to&nbsp\\;point out, I wouldn't ride on your bike either with that up the crack skinny seat and no sissy bar.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Teagan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, everyone has there 2 cents to throw in, but I guess that's what I asked for.
&nbsp\\;
Anyone commenting on asking for three month for permission to get a bike, get married and you'll understand.&nbsp\\;Three months of asking is better that a life time of nagging.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I've had this bike for two months, but I've got more that two months of riding under my belt.&nbsp\\; I started riding dirt bikes a while ago (not quite the same, but the mechanices of riding and turning are similar) and rode others road bike in the past.&nbsp\\;This is just the first road bike that I've owned myself.&nbsp\\; So it's not like I'm an accident waiting to happen.
&nbsp\\;
I know the superglide isn't the most passanger friendly bike, but it's not like I'd expecting her to go on a cross country road trip.&nbsp\\; Hopp on the bike&nbsp\\;to go to dinner or a quick evening ride.&nbsp\\; If she wants to ride more, then I'll get a new seat and a sissy bar.
&nbsp\\;
Overall, it sounds like I need to back of and just let nature take it's course.&nbsp\\; Enjoy the road allone and let her&nbsp\\;know that she's always welcome.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks again for everyones advise.&nbsp\\;If anything, it's been entertaining to read.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 07:40 PM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Dyna Soar:
Wow, it took three times? For that, I recognize there is nothing I can say that will help you.
FYI- my wife and I have been blissfully married for 15 years, and we have 3 happy well adjusted children. She read your reply, laughed, and replied with the following: "women respect men, not whiners." She thinks Teagan, and other men who think themselves in that position,&nbsp\\;should buy the bike and something for their wife in return. She also stated, "sometimes people need a push- where would we all be in life if nobody gave us a push?"
I'll leave this posted in case you need to read it nine or ten times for understanding (just kidding).
Peace!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM
grumpa
Tourer

Well I went for my usual ride by my self. Stop off for a Qt of milk and when I came out a middle age lady on a Honda something (old bike) was parking next to me. She asked if I had a minute. ( You damn right) She wanted to step up to a bigger bike but didn't know what style Harley to go to. We talked for about a half hour and exchanged numbers. to ride again later on this week, she was a lone rider and so was I. see what could happen when you ride alone.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Big Pa
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine wont ride on my bike either. Oh well. My time to reflect.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:28 PM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Teagan

WOW, everyone has there 2 cents to throw in, but I guess that's what I asked for.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Anyone commenting on asking for three month for permission to get a bike, get married and you'll understand.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Three months of asking is better that a life time of nagging.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I've had this bike for two months, but I've got more that two months of riding under my belt.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I started riding dirt bikes a while ago (not quite the same, but the mechanices of riding and turning are similar) and rode others road bike in the past.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;This is just the first road bike that I've owned myself.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; So it's not like I'm an accident waiting to happen.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I know the superglide isn't the most passanger friendly bike, but it's not like I'd expecting her to go on a cross country road trip.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Hopp on the bike&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;to go to dinner or a quick evening ride.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If she wants to ride more, then I'll get a new seat and a sissy bar.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Overall, it sounds like I need to back of and just let nature take it's course.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Enjoy the road allone and let her&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;know that she's always welcome.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks again for everyones advise.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;If anything, it's been entertaining to read.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Kudos to you for clearing the major purchase with your wife prior to buying.
&nbsp\\;
Keep gently inviting her to ride along... like you said, short ride to dinner or something.&nbsp\\; Before I got my own bike, I gave my husband a pouty face if he ran an errand without me.

Show her Grumpa's post... she doesn't want you hooking up with a female rider![:@]

Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

Two words ME TIME!!! Enjoy riding by yourself or with buddies and enjoy time with the better half doing other things together!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: My wife will not ride with me