General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wife will not ride with me

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:50 AM
icecold
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My wife will not ride with me

...yeah, my wife doesn't like to ride either, but my girlfriend does...so I'm enjoying the ride.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:11 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife always want's to go riding.&nbsp\\; Every time that we pass some titty bar with a parking lot full of bikes, she pokes me in the ribs because she knows that if she wasn't on the back that I'd be right in there with them.&nbsp\\; She knows me well.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:36 AM
lanny
Cruiser

Now now boys, some men do love their wives and wants to do things together..be nice...&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Ok, in my case being a woman rider, I had my permit in the 70's so I didnt need to go do or pass any riding exams or whatever. Then they took that away on your drivers permit a few years later. But you had the chance to keep your riding permit or sign it away. I never signed it away and always kept it..

When my&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; husband bought his bike a few years ago, I was scare too...I had an accident when I was 16-17...when flying up in the air and all.. I was lucky came out with stitches on the head...I was lucky cause we werent going fast...anyhooo...when he bought it I went on it and i was like always in panic..didnt tell him though cause I knew he wanted me on it and go do things together...i felt like throwing up and all...i kept looking on the ground and seeing what would happen if we fall off...felt even worst...kept telling myself look up idiot look up or ahead...but its stronger than you..you think of all sorts of stupid things on a bike when your scare...so after a few months went by...i decided to go for a course...cost me 500$ but was worth it...i got the panic attacks out of the way....now i ride my bike but yes got to admit it i still watch and double watch the others like i do in my car...i am not scare in a car never was...different driver comparing with my bike...guess cause your boxed in...

I bought a honda shadow 750 as my first bike...it was great but sold it cause my husband kept telling me " come on ride, or move faster etc etc etc..." He didnt understand that I wasnt ready to ride like him...i was going at the speed limits and even a bit faster but i didnt want to go over 100KS or 60miles per hour...so i gave him crap and sold it...i just didnt care anymore...he took the fun out of it...then this summer i realized i missed riding my bike...so i decided to buy a HD..this will be my first HD and my last...He never bothered me to this days...I can keep up with him now and I trust my bike too...I find that this HD is easier to handle..why i dont know...

so maybe suggest to your wife to take a course even though she wont ride on her own..be there for her...if she wants you to stay, stay...but i liked it better when my husband wasnt there...i like to do my own thing without anyone there...she will get to ride and learn how a bike feels, she will love it or hate it...but im sure she will love it...

just a suggestion...sorry for my long story..

Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever rode on the back of a dyna. With that hard seat. First you need a better seat, sissy bar and pad. Then it come down to how your drive skills. Did you start when you bought that bike. Here a picture of a couple girls riding.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:00 AM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You asked permission? Do you work? Are you the solo or main wage earner? Sorry to offend you and anyone else but, take your ***** back and put them back on.
When I brought my motorcycle home she was pissed- I told her she had no say, and she got over it. I had a friend of ours spent half the day with me teaching me&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;to ride, and then going for a 30 mile ride, and now I ride every day to and from work. At this point, all she asks is that I call and say I got to work okay since I am riding on the parkway with the 70 - 90 mph nut jobs- I'm happy to oblige her since it is out of love and concern for my well being.
I've been riding for 5 vweeks now, and she wouldn't get on even though I asked and cajoled her\\\\\\; on Father's Day I looked her in the eye and said. "since it's my day, I get to take you for a ride around the neighhborhood." She went, was concerned about slipping off (no sissy bar), thought it was rough and uncomfortable, and will try again&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;when I get a sissy bar for her. At 42, and never having been on a&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;motorcycle before, I understood her fear and am proud of her for facing that fear- and I told her so. Now she doesn't argue with my 8 year-old when he asks to go for a ride around the neighborhood- he reaches the passenger pegs and I have a DOT approved helmet that fits him properly.
I'm getting that sissy bar in the next few weeks, and she'll go for a longer ride when I get it, but now she knows that I can ride well and feels much better about me going to work and ridding with my buddy.
My advice: finds a way to get her on even if you have to yell and scream or cut her off, ride her in a flat parking lot for about 100 yards in 1st &amp\\;\\\\\\; 2nd gear, stop the bike and shut it off, take off her helmet, and thank her for letting you share your new passion with her. She'll feel better about the bike, your riding it, and will not be afraid to try again next time for a longer ride\\\\\\; more importantly, she'll feel silly about not even trying before (as long as you don't dump the bike and her).

Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 AM
chumbucket
Novice

I put on a LePera Solo seat and removed the passenger pegs. The subject never comes up.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

After a long hiatus while the kids were raised I finally started riding again. My wife used to ride with me (many years ago) but refuses to now. She is scared to death that she will die on the bike. With all her fear, I no longer even ask and just enjoy riding solo. She doesn't care when or where I ride, or even that my 14 year old grandaughter rides with me.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: jivo

.......I gave up flying for her, and I have given up golf as well.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Now we are having a wonderful time together. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
If I had given up flying for my wife, neither of us would have eaten for the last 30 years.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the local waterin hole..pay some cute lil blonde to ride on your bike with you past your house...beep your horn..rev it up...when the wife looks out the window..smile and wave.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:35 AM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife does not ride with me much either. I just look at it as though this is my thing, not hers. I don't bug her about it and she doesn't bug me about taking off for the day, or weekend in some cases. If I am gone all day on the weekend, I usually&nbsp\\;make time for her when&nbsp\\;I return. We are going on a 600 mile trip this weekend and she is going with. She will probably spend a lot of time in the chase vehicle. Thanks Donna! (see earlier post). My advise is to not push her. Just ease her in to it, if she is willing. If not, then enjoy the solo ride.

Quick Reply: My wife will not ride with me