General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wife will not ride with me

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:37 PM
rayjfromva
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My wife will not ride with me

Are you a new rider? You mention getting the bike just a few months ago.&nbsp\\; If that's the case, then accept her position, put some miles on and see how it goes.&nbsp\\; Maybe when she feels like you have more time and experience with it, she'll feel better.&nbsp\\; Maybe bring her to a rally or bike show and meet some other folks.&nbsp\\; Either way, I wouldn't push it (if it was me).&nbsp\\; My wife doesn't ride with me much, she gets tense and nervous and it's just better riding solo if she's like that.&nbsp\\; Not that it's a bad thing, but I don't want her to be uncomfortable.&nbsp\\; She doesn't give me any grief about how much I ride, so we're fine.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008, 09:38 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

It's an activity you can do together, remind her of that.&nbsp\\; Make sure you have a helmet for her or give her yours.&nbsp\\; Start with a really short ride, don't go past 3rd gear.&nbsp\\; You need a back rest/sissy bar for sure.&nbsp\\; Just some suggestions.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:41 PM
ghostd00d
Cruiser

My wife won't ride with me either.&nbsp\\; So that was a great reason to buy the Mustang solo seat.&nbsp\\; She is positive I am going to end up road pizza and that is the end of the discussion.&nbsp\\; So when she hears me start it up she pretends she doesn't hear anything.&nbsp\\; Oh well.&nbsp\\; Now if I can find some other guys in the same situation.............

SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't blame her one bit.&nbsp\\; I won't ride on the back of someones bike either.

esyrdgcwby
Cruiser

Well mine barley rides with me either I think in the last seven years i can count the number of times she has been on the back on my hands &amp\\; toes, When she does go she doesn't like to go fast, or even the posted speed limit , What to do well I ride alone too ) Sometimes you just got to have somethings for yourself !

Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still stuck on that "but it took me 3 months before that to talk my wife to let me get one.&nbsp\\;"
&nbsp\\;
WTF kind of marriage or partnership is that? I remember one of the last times that my ex thought I didn't have a say in my life,
when she came out with "you are NOT buying a fvckin Harley"...that was 8 years,&nbsp\\;3 Harleys, 1 ex and many beautiful women ago...and as they say "He lived happily ever after"...[8D]

Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 PM
turbostang
Cruiser

I would say it just takes time. It took me a few years to get the wife warmed up to me getting a bike, and the weekend before I did some good friends of our went down. The chick had some swelling of the brain and subsequent paralization of the face, and it freaked my wife out. She swore she would never ride it. But six months later, she's a great passenger for rides around town, and&nbsp\\;we're going to attempt our first long ride in a couple of weeks.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

The last time Mine was on a bike with me was in 1969. I thank God every time I ride for his favor!!
Enjoy your time alone.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:59 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you met anyone since purchasing your bike?
&nbsp\\;
bring her to some functions if you can... bbq's after charity rides etc... have her meet people and establish relationships with other couples you may know that ride. don't push it. she probably has a genuine fear guy. are you an experienced rider? if youre not, that alone is reason to not expect her to hop on the back.
&nbsp\\;
on the other hand.. (laughing under breath)...&nbsp\\; as some other funny posts have insinuated... you got it made!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Draxs
Advanced

Your first mistake was having to get&nbsp\\;your wife's &nbsp\\;permission before you could get the bike. Is easy to see who wears the pants in your family. Now just get rid of the passenger before she changes her mind and consider yourself lucky that she grants you the privledge of riding alone.&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: My wife will not ride with me