General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wife will not ride with me

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My wife will not ride with me

I feel that&nbsp\\;ANYONE riding a motorcycle weather driver or passenger is a decision that they alone can make, and shouldn't be influenced by anybody. This is a high risk activity, my wife loves to ride, and that is HER decision, God forbid you encourage&nbsp\\;your wife&nbsp\\;to ride, then have a terrible accident, you would have to live with the fact that you influenced her into doing somthing that got her hurt, or worse killed. Maybe one day she will be more comfortable with the idea, when that day comes she'll let you know, and getting on that bike will be entirely her own decision. Until then enjoy your ride, invite her to participate in Bike nights, ralleys, etc. but dont push her to ride. In the long run you'll both be happier. JMHO

Old 08-19-2008, 06:56 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I got my 08 flhtc for my 50th birthday. The wife does not ride at all and I am enjoying the quiet of open roads, long rides and none of the "lets stop here and buy stuff" comments. Last time I had a bike was 14 years ago and I missed it every day. I am now making up for lost time. Just remember you can not hear them whine at 75mph on the open highway when they are at home!!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:21 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife rides with me all the time---on her own bike, and neither one of us would have it any other way.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 AM
MSgt Van
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife wouldn't ride with me for the first three years I had a bike. One warm summer day she finally climbed on. She's hooked.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 AM
corona1cal
Cruiser
Default rider-wife or no wife

first i would never tell you to have her ride with you ---don't know how you drive-good bad --sober drunk etc.--this is something only she can decide---maybe she could meet you in an empty parking lot on a sunday when no ones around and just take her around the parking lot--this will at least let her get a feel if she like the idea of riding on the bike ---but again it has to be that she is willing--ps my wife rides all the time on the back of my bike and she loves it ---she also trusts my driving!!!!good luck

Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

20+ yrs ago my wife road with me, even went on trips. then kids, got rid of the bike. last year went to buy one. wife didn't like the idea. said it was her turn for a new vehicle (that was just a ploy for me not to buy one, bikes now scare her).

got one - 07 ultra. of course had to add stuff and get the correct gear. it was funny one day she said, 'the bike was expensive enough, but do you need all these accessories'. i replied 'well you accessorize too'.

went to sturgis last year, w/o her. this year she went and followed in a chase vehicle. it was cool. glad she was along.

she has been on this bike once for a 5 miles ride. she give a couple reasons for not riding, so i am not sure of the main reasons.

but she says
- she scared
- messes her hair. her hair is fine and just doesn't look good after a ride. i am lucky in that either mine never looks good or a ride doesn't affect it that much.

she use to go back woods camping with me, but now wants a couple more comforts. like hot showers and electricity for the hair dryer. but still camps.

but shes a keeper. if riding doesn't fit for her right now, thats fine. it is my thing anyway. and i do enjoy the time riding and she doesn't complain about it. i have a friend whose wife won't ride with him either. so it works

by the way, march 09 will be 30 years.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Rush0608
Cruiser

It took me some time, but the wife will reluctantly ride now. I just told her that my next wife will ride with me if she doesn't want to.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:20 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't worry be happy!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:59 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Consider yourself lucky!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

I like having my wife with me when I go for a ride (most of the time). I was lucky. I was "between" wives at the time I bought this bike, so for me to re-marry...............
Half the time it's her idea to go.

Quick Reply: My wife will not ride with me