General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Sturgis EARLY

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008 | 11:03 PM
Taterdog
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Going to Sturgis EARLY

Finally getting a few days off, so wife and I are going to Rapid City area next week, including Sturgis (but sadly not on the bike she's not ready for a long ride yet the wife, that is).&nbsp\\; Never been to Sturgis before, so anything you recommend we see while there?&nbsp\\; The real Sturgis is over a month away, so not sure what'll be there.

Old 06-21-2008 | 11:34 PM
bigdaddy405
Advanced
Default RE: Going to Sturgis EARLY

NOTHING,&nbsp\\; There is nothing there now.&nbsp\\; I was just there 2 weeks ago &amp\\; it was dead.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; It's a small town thats dead all year except for about 2 weeks in August.
If your riding, you can ride all over the beautiful hills without the crowds.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008 | 11:52 PM
cmcsns
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bigdaddy405

NOTHING,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; There is nothing there now.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I was just there 2 weeks ago &amp\\;\\\\\\; it was dead.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It's a small town thats dead all year except for about 2 weeks in August.
If your riding, you can ride all over the beautiful hills without the crowds.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
EXACTLY!&nbsp\\; If you want nightlife, go to Vegas or any other number of places.&nbsp\\; If you want some of the finest riding and history in the country, The Black Hills is right up there on the list. Don't get me wrong, the rally is ok (if you're into fashion show/fleamarket) but I've always enjoyed the Hills more without the crowds.&nbsp\\; Grab a local map and follow your face

Old 06-22-2008 | 06:09 AM
nujohn
Tourer

you trailering the scoot?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Because theres some of the greatest riding up in the black hills and got to be greater without the traffic and worrying about someone running into you on the twistes

Old 06-22-2008 | 07:14 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member

All the great riding is always available.&nbsp\\; Make sure and go to see Mt Rushmore, Custer monument, Devils Tower, City of Deadwood&nbsp\\;and ride into the Black Hills if you have the time.&nbsp\\; Lots to see and do when 600,000 people are not there with you.&nbsp\\; There is a cork screw road off the back of Mt Rushmore that is amazing to ride.&nbsp\\; It crosses over itself several times.&nbsp\\; I don't remember the road number but all the locals will know it.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008 | 08:07 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Jest keep an eye out fer a red UC pullin' a red Bushtec trailer an' holler!&nbsp\\;Ah'll be on ch. 19 w/the CB.

Old 06-22-2008 | 08:11 AM
BEAST
Cruiser

I suppose then you will be able to brag that you've been to Sturgis. Yes, the Black Hills are great riding. Sturgis is only Sturgis for 2 weeks a year.

Old 06-22-2008 | 08:20 AM
Taterdog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not into crowds, so doubt I'll ever go to THE Sturgis.&nbsp\\; I'm hoping if I take the wife now in her car, she'll be more open to trailering the bike another time and riding around the area.&nbsp\\; Sounds like there's lots to see.&nbsp\\; Thanks for the great info, fellas.

Old 06-22-2008 | 08:23 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Check out Deadwood, really cool town.

Old 06-22-2008 | 08:30 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BEAST
I suppose then you will be able to brag that you've been to Sturgis. Yes, the Black Hills are great riding. Sturgis is only Sturgis for 2 weeks a year.
&nbsp\\;
"Brag" ah've been to Sturgis?&nbsp\\;Dude, ya obviously have me confused with someone that hasta qualify hiz existence. Ah go whar ah want, fer reasons of mah own - and frankly, the smaller the crowd the better ah like it.&nbsp\\; Sturgis means nuthin' ta me other than a curiousity, it's Mt. Rushmore, Custer, Crazy Horse - THAT is what brings ME to the area....

Quick Reply: Going to Sturgis EARLY