General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Sturgis EARLY

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008 | 11:02 PM
TheBreeze521
Cruiser
Default RE: Going to Sturgis EARLY

I was just there this past weekend. Weather was awesome. To my dismay the Sturgis HD dealer was closed at 5:30 on Saturday when I got there. Shouldn't that place be open 24x7 in the summer? Nothing much of anything going on in Sturgis but as others have said, the really good stuff is always there:
&nbsp\\;
Badlands Nat'l Park Do not, I repeat, Do not miss this. Incredible on a bike IMO.
Iron&nbsp\\;Mountain Road The famed "pigtails", part of Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway.
Needles Hwy Again awesome but watch out for the deep potholes some genious decided to fill with loose gravel.
Custer State Park Wildlife and nice scenery.
Mt. Rushmore Speaks for itself, visitors center has the creamiest soft serve ice cream you'll ever encounter.
Spearfish canyon Very nice
Deadwood Cool town
Road between Deadwood and Sturgis Built for motorcycling
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008 | 06:46 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

jus ride the black hill's she will love it.

Old 06-25-2008 | 08:04 AM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

ORIGINAL: bigdaddy405

NOTHING,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; There is nothing there now.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I was just there 2 weeks ago &amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; it was dead.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; \\\\\\\\\\\\\\; It's a small town thats dead all year except for about 2 weeks in August.
If your riding, you can ride all over the beautiful hills without the crowds.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;

Ditto!

I prefer before or after as I ride to get away from crowds.&nbsp\\; Very enjoyable.&nbsp\\; Badlands, Black hills, Deadwood (thumbs up) etc.&nbsp\\;Room rates will be cheeper and you can have the roads to yourself.

Be safe

Old 06-25-2008 | 10:47 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Well said Tex!

Old 06-28-2008 | 05:03 PM
Taterdog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, just got back from one of the best vacations we've ever taken.&nbsp\\; We didn't take the bike this trip, but still a great trip.&nbsp\\; Learned an important lesson though, if you own a bike and you go to this area, at least trailer it when you go.&nbsp\\; Just about killed me seeing everyone riding and me in the car.&nbsp\\; Even the wife agrees next time we take the bike.&nbsp\\; Met one couple who had ridden their Ultra from Maine and were having a ball.&nbsp\\; Said they make the trip just about every year and never get tired of it.

If you've never been, some things you have to see (as many have already pointed out):&nbsp\\; Badlands, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Rushmore, Sturgis, Spearfish Canyon Road (and the waterfalls), Hill City, Keystone, Deadwood, the scenic ride to Devils Tower and the tower itself.&nbsp\\; Every road that connects these sites is an adventure.&nbsp\\; Weather was awesome and some of the most amazing scenery imaginable.&nbsp\\; I don't care for large crowds so glad we went to Sturgis early, and Sturgis HD was not crowded at all quite a store in itself.&nbsp\\; Anway, if anyone is looking for an outstanding vacation, you've got to go to this area of the country.&nbsp\\; We plan to go back and take the bikes next time.

Tater

Old 06-28-2008 | 05:43 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

There's all kinds of little bars and restaurants throughout the hills and away from the towns.&nbsp\\; The town of Hills is kind of neat, there's a great steak place there.&nbsp\\; The Badlands are so ugly, it's beautiful.&nbsp\\; Wall is such a ridiculous tourist trap that it's actually kind of cool.&nbsp\\; Hot Springs actually has hot springs to soak in.&nbsp\\; Rushmore is OK, but I'd skip the phony Crazy Horse non-monument.&nbsp\\; You can enjoy it without a motorcycle, but it's a lot better if you've got one under you.

Old 06-28-2008 | 06:08 PM
myzen
Road Captain

Leaving Tulsa on the 20th of July and headin north.&nbsp\\; We are thinking about 2 or 3 days in the Sturgis area, then West to Yellowstone, south to Denver for a night, back west towards Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and back to Oklahoma.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Is two days enough in the Sturgis area&nbsp\\;or should we allow for 3?&nbsp\\;

Old 06-28-2008 | 08:32 PM
Fletch
Cruiser

You would be dead tired if you tried to ride all the Black Hills in two days. You can hit the high spots in three without hurrying too much. Have a great trip. When you get back, bring the Tulsa gang over here and let's do some Arkansas.

Old 06-29-2008 | 04:59 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member

Like several others who've already replied, I was there just a couple of weeks ago my first visit also, and yes, it's really dead (now).&nbsp\\; I was on a road-trip with wife and grandson, so in the family cage.&nbsp\\; One option you might consider is checking with the Stugis HD dealer about renting a bike for a day.&nbsp\\; The opportunities for great rides are just unlimited around there, and the crowds aren' there yet.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008 | 01:20 PM
Taterdog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: myzen

Leaving Tulsa on the 20th of July and headin north.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; We are thinking about 2 or 3 days in the Sturgis area, then West to Yellowstone, south to Denver for a night, back west towards Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and back to Oklahoma.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Is two days enough in the Sturgis area&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;or should we allow for 3?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Probably depends on how much walking around&nbsp\\; you plan to do.&nbsp\\; If you want to just ride and ride and ride, you can see a lot in two days, but you'll be worn out.&nbsp\\; If you want to ride and stop to smell the roses or drink a beer now and then, three or four would be better.&nbsp\\; Heck, you could probably stay there a week and not get bored!&nbsp\\; Have a great trip.

Quick Reply: Going to Sturgis EARLY