General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

states that dont allow red turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 AM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: states that dont allow red turn signals

I used the hd kit with my smoke lenses then bought some red led bulbs. look sharp and very bright!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4583/AF306BD9040E4DC2AE5B04F0158EF0F4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-07-2006, 10:56 AM
RetroHarley
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure why red turn signals would be illegal when the stock tombstone taillight is red.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:17 PM
hddeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweden does not allow red turn signals.
But I'm going to try red lenses and amber lamps to see if it's blinking amber

Old 03-11-2006, 05:31 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Many Texas LEOs used to ticket for blue dots, but a couple of biker organizations started getting the tickets thrown out because the law simply states the light must be red. Adding blue dots doesn't change the overall light spectrum enough to move it out of the red wavelength. When this started being presented in court, the judges had to start tossing the tickets, and eventually most LEOs quit writing them. I can't remember for sure, but there might have even been something from the state Attorney General backing the biker rights orgs on the deal.There are always gonn be a couple of barneys who will attempt to intimidate using the threat of a ticket. Mostly they back off when told a big-buck lawyer will be appearing in court, and that the local jurisdiction will be footing the bill for whatever the lawyer can dig up in the way of selective enforcement, harrassment, etc.

Pull up the actual code for your state and see how it is written. If it says something to the effect of "no blue lights", that good ol' science known as physics is on your side 'cause blue dots usually can't even be seen emitting blue light when the brake lights are on, as the red overwhelms any blue. If the code says "no blue lenses", yer outta luck.

While I have turn signals on my bike, I seldom use them. Mostly use hand signals, but will use the electrics at night if I think I need to.

Old 03-11-2006, 06:07 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Here's the Texas code. Note how they defined the color light emitted from stop lamps and turn signals.

TRC §547.323.

STOPLAMPS REQUIRED

(c) A stoplamp shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

(d) A stoplamp shall emit a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, that is:

(1) visible in normal sunlight at a distance of at least 300 feet from the rear of the vehicle; and

(2) displayed when the vehicle service brake is applied.

(f) A stoplamp may be included as a part of another rear lamp.

TRC §547.324.

TURN SIGNAL LAMPS REQUIRED.

(a)Exceptas provided by Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps that indicate the operator's intent to turn by displaying flashing lights to the front and rear of a vehicle or combination of vehicles and on that side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made.

(c) Turn signal lamps:

(1) shall be mounted at the same level and spaced as widely apart as practicable on the front and on the rear of the vehicle; and

(2) may be included as a part of another lamp on the vehicle.

(d) A turn signal lamp shall emit:

(1) a white or amber light, or a color between white and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the front of the vehicle; or

(2) a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

(e) A turn signal lamp must be visible in normal sunlight at a distance of:

(1) at least 500 feet from the front and rear of the vehicle if the vehicle is at least 80 inches wide; and

(2) at least 300 feet from the front and rear of the vehicle if the vehicle is less than 80 inches wide.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:19 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the blue dot thing dates way back to the days of cops getting on bikers for any mods- high sissy bars, ape hangers, extended front ends, etc. The blue dots make the light look slightly purplish, and was a big biker mod that cops used to mess with people. Blue dots are legal in some states now (biker groups argued that the slightly different color cast helped them stand out in traffic- a safety angle).