General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have it backwards too?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,454 Likes on 4,366 Posts
Default RE: Do you have it backwards too?

Guess I'm not saving any money on oil, but Hey!&nbsp\\; I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM
doggiedave
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

&nbsp\\;A lot of misinformation here. On the large ships they do change the oil but it is measured as to years because on board large ships they have centrifuge units that clean the oil particles and they supplement additives as it is the additives that are depletable the base lube oil theoreticly never wears out. the main culprits are carbon deposits ,acid byproducts from combustion, moisture contamination, and fuel oil dilution that effects viscosity. Used to be in the trade. just say'n

Old 06-24-2008, 12:23 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: madmikee

From this forum, I have learned that frequent oil changes shorten engine life. Engine wear decreases as oil ages.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
Yet, most on this forum still believe that changing oil often is protecting their engine.
Are you one of those that changes your oil more frequently than 5,000 miles?
No one needs to change synthetic more often than every 10,000 miles, but do you?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The thread was called "changing my mind on changing oil"
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
http://www.xlrator.com/personal/oil/...Motorcycle.pdf
&nbsp\\;
I read the posted / referenced article.&nbsp\\; Not convinced.&nbsp\\; The author, whoever s/he is, leave much to be desired in writing skills, research, application, and deductive reasoning.&nbsp\\; Other than that, the article is fine....for someone suffering from insomnia...

Old 06-24-2008, 12:24 PM
SKULLCRAPPER
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ezriderpgh

I never heard this one before but I will say this....oil does not deteriorate. It becomes dirty and needs filtered, amounts become less because of leaks and burning off. But it does not deteriorate. You could actually never change your oil again, as long as you maintained a new filter and kept it full. One example is the engine rooms of U.S. ships, the oil is never changed unless there is some part failure and the oil becomes contaminated. They change filters and add as needed and those engines have millions of hours on them.
&nbsp\\;
Let me guess...you were also the guy running all over the ship looking for a bucket of prop wash too weren't you

Old 06-24-2008, 12:59 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: BACKRUB69

Even us Blonde's know this. CRISCO OIL in all 3 holes! I read somewhere? that you never change it again.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;leta

***edited to get page to normal width.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Yeah, but you have to run it thru your Fry Daddy about 10 times before it's any good.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Too fresh = more engine damage.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
BTW, Crisco does have vegetable OIL.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:01 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: SKULLCAPPER

ORIGINAL: ezriderpgh

I never heard this one before but I will say this....oil does not deteriorate. It becomes dirty and needs filtered, amounts become less because of leaks and burning off. But it does not deteriorate. You could actually never change your oil again, as long as you maintained a new filter and kept it full. One example is the engine rooms of U.S. ships, the oil is never changed unless there is some part failure and the oil becomes contaminated. They change filters and add as needed and those engines have millions of hours on them.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Let me guess...you were also the guy running all over the ship looking for a bucket of prop wash too weren't you
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I thought only the Air Force did that?!?!&nbsp\\; It's damn hard to find too, especially when all the aircraft on base have those new fangled jet engines.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:57 PM
hottrocker
Cruiser

I am amazed by this thread.&nbsp\\; I would have responded earlier but I was busy repacking my muffler bearings.&nbsp\\; Fewer oil changes?&nbsp\\; Could it be he was really referring to his hair dressing rather then the engine oil?
&nbsp\\;
I hear that Vitalis gets thinker and slinkier as it ages.&nbsp\\; You just have to comb out the insects.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 PM
DC2250
Tourer

ORIGINAL: FL DEUCE

This a trick question right?
now thats a hell of a good looking bike right there..... do you change the oil in it&nbsp\\; ???????? or does it even have oil in it ?