General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went Down Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008 | 02:10 PM
stevec
|
Intermediate
Default Went Down Today

Well at about 8:30 this AM while traveling a well known road I have been on a thousand times, doing between 45 and 60 MPH a deer jumps out in front of me. There was no time to react, Bang cought the front of my bike and down I went.
&nbsp\\;
Slid for what seem forever, sat up , and sat there a while, my friend riding behind me stopped where my bike stopped and started running back to me, when I yelled to him&nbsp\\; shut my bike off.
&nbsp\\;
No cell service, good thing people lived close by and a neighbor stopped on his quad to lend assisantance, helped upright the bike and phoned police and emt`s. Funny thing, as stupid as this sounds, I felt bad for the deer, for it was a mother and probably still nursing, and now dead.
&nbsp\\;
Some road rash on my knees and back of my hands, my coat ,helmet and gloves saved my *** &nbsp\\;
, I think the bike may be totaled.
,&nbsp\\;major fairing&nbsp\\;damage and front end damage.
&nbsp\\;
Afted this I now swear I will never ride without protective gear. I got up and walked&nbsp\\;away, sore and some roadrash but I`m here, now to deal with the insurance company.
&nbsp\\;
By the way , after I pulled&nbsp\\;the front fender off the tire, I drove that badboy home, slow and carefull, but it got me home 40 miles from the accident. I`m glad I`m here!
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Regards, Steve

Old 06-21-2008 | 02:23 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Went Down Today

Glad you survived it.&nbsp\\; I hit a deer in my truck so I know what you mean when you said&nbsp\\;the deer&nbsp\\;came out of no where.&nbsp\\; I had $7000 damage and still felt bad for the deer.

Old 06-21-2008 | 02:36 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry to hear about the accident, and white tail deer are a huge problem around here as well.
&nbsp\\;
In fact, in the rural county where I live the deer population is about 3 times greater than the number of people living here.
&nbsp\\;
Have a question though, from reading your post it seems like you had to have your friend 'turn off you bike' after the accident.
&nbsp\\;
What year Harley was it, as most have what is called a BAS (bank angle sensor) as part of the turn signal module.
&nbsp\\;
The BAS is designed to automatically turn off your bike if it tilts 45 degrees or more from vertical for more than 1 second.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008 | 03:03 PM
SenecaBlues
Cruiser

Glad to hear you're okay.&nbsp\\; Deer suck!&nbsp\\; Sorry about the bike.
&nbsp\\;
Never knew about the BAS but makes sense...

Old 06-21-2008 | 03:13 PM
TideRKC
Tourer

Glad you're ok.&nbsp\\; I've read a ton of stories on here about people hitting dear.&nbsp\\; I can't remember who said it on here but I agree . . . rats with antlers

Old 06-21-2008 | 03:16 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

never a good day to go down, it will hurt worse tomorrow then start to get better. Good luck

Old 06-21-2008 | 03:22 PM
Hangfire1
Tourer

Glad you're still around!

Old 06-21-2008 | 03:38 PM
cbigbie191
Road Master

That sucks. we need to do something about all the damn deer, there everywhere. We need to organize a massive countrywide hunt and donate all the meat to homeless shelters. If we got rid of half the deer in this country there would still be too many. Glad your alright though. And +1 on never riding without gear, the day you don't have it on is the day something will happen.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008 | 04:59 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: cbigbie191

That sucks. we need to do something about all the damn deer, there everywhere. We need to organize a massive countrywide hunt and donate all the meat to homeless shelters. If we got rid of half the deer in this country there would still be too many. Glad your alright though. And +1 on never riding without gear, the day you don't have it on is the day something will happen.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
yeah... theyre even riding bikes and drinkin' like rebels...&nbsp\\; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh2gM5SXCes

Old 06-21-2008 | 05:04 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

Deer are one hazard we don't have in So. Fl....but then we got blue hairs which might be worse....
and oh yeah non english speakers with no license..no insurance...and no cares about it....anyways glad you walked away from this....

Quick Reply: Went Down Today