General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went Down Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008 | 05:08 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Went Down Today

Glad to hear you are OK.
I travel deer infested roads everyday at 4:00AM&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I always try to time it so a cage goes in front.
I still think about it all the way.
&nbsp\\;
MikeM

Old 06-21-2008 | 05:14 PM
cobalt1999
Intermediate

Glad you are okay.&nbsp\\; Scary and amazing you rode the damaged bike for 40 miles.

I read there are more deer in the country now than when the pilgrams arrived.&nbsp\\; We've killed off all their predators.

I'm for re-introducing wolves back into Florida.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008 | 05:18 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

I live about 3 miles outside the City limits, so it goes from a built up area , to rural with the simple crossing of the Kansas Turnpike.
&nbsp\\;
I am always mindful of deer, but lately, it has been those ugly damned possums that seem to think the middle of the road is their own private racetrack......not sayin they move very fast either.

Old 06-21-2008 | 05:20 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Steve, you're one lucky SOB.&nbsp\\; Should go out and buy some lottery tickets - any day you&nbsp\\;can dump a 700 lb+ bike, skid along the road and live to talk about it is ONE GOOD DAY.&nbsp\\; Glad you're okay.&nbsp\\; You're going to feel it the next few days.
&nbsp\\;
I really think someone needs to educate the deer population - just kidding.&nbsp\\; Scares the hell out of me - been lucky so far.
&nbsp\\;
You said you rode the bike home - would think it not totaled.&nbsp\\; Amazing where they can find used parts to fix up these bikes.

Old 06-21-2008 | 05:28 PM
mrghos
Road Master

Glad you are ok.&nbsp\\; Get better quick.

Old 06-21-2008 | 06:20 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior

glad it ain't worse. i don't feel bad for the deer or the fawn. i am cold hearted when it comes to that stuff cause i'm the one that gets called to euthanize em.. glad your gonna ride again.

Old 06-21-2008 | 06:23 PM
lanceo70
Tourer

I agree with you on the protective gear...went down this spring on a bunch of slick gravel and jacket and gloves saved a lot of skin.

Old 06-21-2008 | 06:47 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Glad you're Ok too!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I've never hit a deer but I have put one down.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I wasn't wearing what I should have been but still only got away with some road rash and a few bruises.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If I'd been wearing what I should have been, I wouldn't have had any road rash at all.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Now I don't ride without the appropriate clothing.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Some ask how I can take the heat on a warm day.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; First thing is, modern gear is vented well enough that, as long as you're moving, it's not that bad.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Beyond that, my answer is, "I'd rather sweat than bleed!!"&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Good luck with your insurance advantures!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Steve R

Old 06-21-2008 | 07:05 PM
Heritage70X
Cruiser

Glad to hear you're ok Steve.&nbsp\\; In my neck of the woods it's MOOSE we have to worry about !!&nbsp\\; I was riding out the Highway just recently and one just 'strolled' across the four lanes !!!&nbsp\\; Fortunately I saw it coming out of the woods and had time to brake !!&nbsp\\; Protective gear is definitely what it's all about !!

Old 06-21-2008 | 07:28 PM
stevec
|
Intermediate

Bike was an 07 Road Glide, if it did have the sensor, it failed, will bring that up with the dealer thou, thanks
ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Sorry to hear about the accident, and white tail deer are a huge problem around here as well.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
In fact, in the rural county where I live the deer population is about 3 times greater than the number of people living here.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Have a question though, from reading your post it seems like you had to have your friend 'turn off you bike' after the accident.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
What year Harley was it, as most have what is called a BAS (bank angle sensor) as part of the turn signal module.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The BAS is designed to automatically turn off your bike if it tilts 45 degrees or more from vertical for more than 1 second.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Quick Reply: Went Down Today