General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife wants to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:58 AM
harleygunnow
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife wants to ride?

My wife wants to ride by herself, but has never rode a motorcycle in her life. So we have signed up for a motorcycle safety course. My question to the veteran riders here is:

Should I attend with her?

Some people have said it would be detrimental to her learning. I am concerned that I may want to offer advice and confuse the matter. I want her to succeed in the safety class, although am hesitant about her riding alone.

What do you think, go with her, stay home or take the course seperately?

Thanks

Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
hd lady
Tourer
Default RE: Wife wants to ride?

Stay home and let her do this by herself. It will most likely be distracting for her if your there. Don't worry she'll do fine and then she'll come home so excited and tell you all about it.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:07 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

My guess is she would probably do better if you weren't there based on your statement that you might want to contribute your opinions. The instructors are very professional, and will not need your input.

If you want to attend the class you might want to do it during another session.

As far as having your wife ride her own, I think that is great. My wife has her own bike and I have the best riding partner a person could ask for.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-06-2006, 11:09 AM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

I'd say if you want to take it, take it at a different time, that way she'll feel like you're not watching her and be less nervous, just my $.02

Old 03-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Tough call. My wife and I took it together, but then we were both starting out (I had ridden some back in college, but hard to call that practical experience).

You might want to take it yourself though, believe it or not, regardless of your riding experience, you will probably learn something!

There was one couple in the class, the wife was in my class (basic), and her husband was taking the advanced (or maybe experienced) class at the same time. Maybe you could do that instead.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:58 AM
BladeMan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say to let her take it buy herself. If you are there she might get nervous and fail. Either way if she fails you will get blamed.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:05 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife and I took the course together and had no problem at all. I had been riding for years, her a couple of months. She told me several times she appreciated me taking the course with her. I reckon it really depends on you and your relationship with your wife.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:22 PM
FreestateXL
Cruiser

It's great that she wants to ride! My wife and I took the course together twice- once to get our motorcycle endorsement, and the second time as a "refresher" after not much riding during the winter. The instructors do a great job, and she kicked my &%@ the second time on the road test - frickin figure 8 box She bought a Honda Shaddow 750 for her first bike, and last Saturday traded it in for a 2006 Heritage Softtail.. She is my best riding buddy too!

Old 03-06-2006, 02:07 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

I had my wife take the ABATE course last spring. I let her take it by herself. I did not want her to feel like she needed to impress me. I did show up one day and watched for about 45 min to encourage her. She did a real good job and has her own 05 883L. She loves to ride to work on it a lot in the summer.

Before the class started she kept wanting me to give her pointers. I refused to teach her a single thing. I wanted her to learn the way they were going to teach the class. She did a great job and is licensed now. Good luck, and ride safe.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:45 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let her take the class by herself. When I took the course a few years ago, the class was over half female (made my day!)
There was one couple there and was she really nervous on the course compared to the other woman, most whom were married and wanted to ride with there husbands. I guess it would depend on your relationship.
She will do fine on her own I'm sure, the instructors are really good and encouraging.
So what kind of bike does she have her eye on?

Quick Reply: Wife wants to ride?