General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife wants to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:54 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wife wants to ride?

i think that is great . i know you are concern but let her do it on her own and let them teach the way they want to teach i wish her the best of luck .and you are going to have the best rideing buddy you can ask for .

Old 03-06-2006, 03:08 PM
rvisdew
Road Master

I'd ask here what her preference would be and go with that.

My wife wanted to take the class, but wanted to take it without me. I think she thought me being there would create extra pressure on her. She's has singed up for the class this coming April. Gotta love her taking the class!!

Old 03-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Boatman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice would be to stay home like most of the others have said. There would be no distractions that way and even though you know how to ride, the course will teach her different.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:42 PM
ladyrider313
Advanced

I agree! I took the coarse and my ole man stayed home! Better that way!

Old 03-06-2006, 04:55 PM
richp5
Cruiser

I stayed home and she came back very excited and wanted to share her knowledge. And after riding 30 years she mentioned something she learned that I didn't know - however it's been forgotten.

Old 03-06-2006, 06:02 PM
LOWTOW
Road Captain

I also agree with the majority. Let her do it by her self. My wife took it on her own....I know would have been a distraction and it would have been difficult for me to keep my mouth shut.

Old 03-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: harleygunnow

My wife wants to ride by herself, but has never rode a motorcycle in her life. So we have signed up for a motorcycle safety course. My question to the veteran riders here is:

Should I attend with her?

Some people have said it would be detrimental to her learning. I am concerned that I may want to offer advice and confuse the matter. I want her to succeed in the safety class, although am hesitant about her riding alone.

What do you think, go with her, stay home or take the course seperately?

Thanks
STAY HOME...my g/f failed her 1st driving test because she looked, seen me watching and jumped the curb and landed on her backside. I think you'll make her nervous. jmo

Old 03-06-2006, 06:10 PM
ingenue
Road Captain

Absolutely NOT! No, really - my husband and I took the course (first me, then him). I would have been distracted if he were taking it at the same time and he felt the same way. Even if you are very supportive and patient - it would be better for her to take it with people she doesn't know.

ORIGINAL: harleygunnow

My wife wants to ride by herself, but has never rode a motorcycle in her life. So we have signed up for a motorcycle safety course. My question to the veteran riders here is:

Should I attend with her?

Some people have said it would be detrimental to her learning. I am concerned that I may want to offer advice and confuse the matter. I want her to succeed in the safety class, although am hesitant about her riding alone.

What do you think, go with her, stay home or take the course seperately?

Thanks

Old 03-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Interesting hearing the difference in opinions (although the majority are don't take it with her). I actually think we helped each other out in the course some, but then part of that is we are slightly competitive, so that spurred us both on the written and the driving/riding test (no we don't take it very seriously, unlike her sister and brother-in-law!)

Again, it comes back to the type of relationship with your wife like others have suggested.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:01 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

First, Congrats on your new riding buddy!!
IMO You should let here accomplish this by herself, unless she suggests otherwise. I know for me, "preformance anxiety" can be debilitating. Once I am confident, the problem goes away.
If you take the lead when you start sharing the roads, it may also lessen this problem. Once she is no longer thinking about the bike, and is enjoying the roads, then let her lead too! (you'll enjoy the view)
Ride Safe guys!! Enjoy the RIDE!
GWG Judy

Quick Reply: Wife wants to ride?