General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Realtime GPS Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:12 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Realtime GPS Tracking

My wife worries about me when I travel on the motorcycle. I try to check in every hour or two, but sometimes I forget. So I started researching what's out there that could give her some peace of mind. I came across the Spot Satellite Personal Tracker. The device was $170, the subscription is about $150 a year with automatic tracking. It's marketed to hikers and such so it's rugidized and water proof. The device is a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes.
&nbsp\\;
I won't bore you with the details since you can read their marketing material on their website if you want. I just got the device today so I can't really say how well it works. All I've done is verified that it works. The first trip I take with it I'll see what my wife thinks since she's the one I got it for.
&nbsp\\;
Mostly it's just to keep her from worrying, but there's always the possibility something does happen. She really couldn't be certain something was wrong until she hadn't heard from me for 5-6 hours. I generally stop every 1-2 hours and call her when I do, but sometimes I forget. So it might be 3-4 hours without hearing from me with nothing wrong.
&nbsp\\;
What would she do if something did go wrong? She would know where I had been 5-6 hours before. She couldn't even be sure what state, much less what county. I travel a general route, but not a specific road. So the best she might be able to do is I'm most likely somewhere in eastern Kentucky, but I might be in Indian or Illinois. It would be bad enough for her if something did happen to me without that exercise in frustration. I felt this was a good alternative to changing how I travel.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Lucky66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Realtime GPS Tracking

Sounds a little paranoid.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Alias
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time I travel on my bike, I call my wife every 2, wait a minute, I don't have a wife. Sorry, never mind.

Must have been a flashback.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:56 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I for one think it's a good idea being married to a woman who's not crazy about bikes. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

The TomTom Rider2 GPS will send real-time updates via Bluetooth to your cell phone and out through your wireless network.&nbsp\\; With this, anyone to whom you give permissions can track your wherabouts via the internet.

That's a little too big brotheris for me.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 AM
drogers
Tourer

My wife hates motorcycles and wont get near one.Even after watching me ride one for 30 years.It makes her sick when I start mine and take off.With that said,if I'm traveling I only check in when I stop for the evening.The GPS wont tell her anything.She wont know if you stopped or crashed or broke down for hours unless someone calls her,which is my point.Checking in once a day seems sufficient to me.Beyond that is excessive.Besides,even if you call every two hours she is still gonna worry till you call again so what's the difference.Are you newly married or new to motorcycles? Maybe she will get more comfortable with you riding after some time.If my wife can,anyone can.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

Microsoft's solution to you probem............
&nbsp\\;
Wife 1.0 has an undocumented bug. If you try to install Mistress 1.1 before uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MS-Money files before doing the uninstall itself. Then Mistress 1.1 will refuse to install, claiming insufficient resources.

BUG WORK-AROUNDS
&nbsp\\;
To avoid the above bug, try installing Mistress 1.1 on a different system and never run any file transfer applications such as Laplink 6.0. Also, beware of similar shareware applications that have been known to carry viruses that may affect Wife 1.0. Another solution would be to run Mistress 1.0 via a UseNet provider under an anonymous name. Here again, beware of the viruses which can accidently be downloaded from the UseNet.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

MS-Wife 1.0 Testimonial
&nbsp\\;
Wife 1.0 is not only a memory hog that leaves very little system resources for other applications. He is only now noticing that Wife 1.0 also is spawning Child-Processes which are further consuming valuable resources. No mention of this particular phenomena was included in the product brochure or the documentation, though other users have informed him that this is to be expected due to the nature of the application. Not only that, Wife 1.0 installs itself such that it is always launched at system initialization where it can monitor all other system activity. He's finding that some applications such as PokerNight 10.3, BeerBash 2.5, and PubNight 7.0 are no longer able to run in the system at all, crashing the system when selected (even though they always worked fine before). Also, system performance seems to diminish with each passing day.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

UPGRADE ANNOUNCEMENT
&nbsp\\;
WIFE 2.0 is currently in development and should be ready for release shortly. WIFE 2.0 takes 30% less disk space while featuring a flashier, more attractive, User Interface. Unfortunately, this upgrade is expected to require significantly more resources than Wife 1.0. For those users unable to upgrade to Wife 2.0, addins RedSprtsCar and&nbsp\\;Harley are currently in beta testing. These addins will work with the executable C:\\WIFE\\MIDLIFE.COM.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a GPS tracking. http://www.findmespot.com/ExploreSPO...Messenger.aspx

Quick Reply: Realtime GPS Tracking