General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Realtime GPS Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:42 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Realtime GPS Tracking

Here's a cool link to an online program that links up you're check in messages
&nbsp\\;
http://www.jasonjonas.org/spot/index.jsp

Old 06-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,
&nbsp\\;
My neighbors wife said........give a man a fish and you can feed him for a day........let him buy a boat and you can have quality time for yourself all weekend..........

Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ram has a new motorcycle mount for SPOT.
Not entirely necessary as SPOT will work covered by leather or fabric.
http://www.ram-mount.com/mount/satel...cker_mount.htm

Old 06-23-2008, 12:09 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think she needs a tracker for herself. Maybe she just needs more time without you coming to soon. Maybe teddy cam at home.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a Sprint Cellphone, you can subscribe ($9.95) to real time tracking so you can track all the phones on a family plan (if the have GPS, which most phones do). It's mostly to find the kids, but can be used for tracking a motorcycle or a cheating spouse.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cadman311

I think she needs a tracker for herself. Maybe she just needs more time without you coming to soon. Maybe teddy cam at home.
&nbsp\\;
She travels 100% with her job. She leaves Sunday afternoon and comes home Thursday night. She has time without me around if she wanted to do something as do I. That's part of the problem when it comes to counting on "somebody" to contact her in the event I'm laying in a hospital unconcious.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

I'm sure you love her.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Although it sounds like rather extreme behavior to me.&nbsp\\; If she were mine, I would tell her I would see her when I got back.&nbsp\\; If she pitched a fit, I'd throw all her stuff out in the yard and change the locks.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned

ORIGINAL: LilBudyWizer

The biggest drawback of the device I saw is that it's transmit only. So it doesn't keep trying to transmit until the message goes through since it doesn't know. Since it's satellite based it needs a clear view of the sky. Cellular would, in most places, be more reliable since it both doesn't need a view of the sky and can confirm the message was delivered. Mostly those are more expensive devices and more costly subscriptions.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
Not quite true. If your cellphone tracking is still GPS based, it is still going to need a view of the sky for the tracking portion, even if the cellphone coverage is otherwise adequate. And if you use onlycell tower tracking, without getting the GPS involved, the accuracy is horrible, since the cell tracking can only take a guess based on cell tower information. So unless you dont care about accuracy, you will still always need a clear sky view

Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned

ORIGINAL: LilBudyWizer

ORIGINAL: WindowMan

A good&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;buddy of mine has Nextel (sprint) and its built in the
phone, he goes on their site and tracks his employees.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Phone services was the first thing I looked at since, pretty well, all phones have to have the ability to locate you for 9-1-1 calls. The biggest problem is I don't really use a cellphone. Most of the time it sets on the desk dead. I charge it and take it with me when I travel so I can check in with my wife. So I would have to upgrade plans and phones to get most cellphone services.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
All the cellphone services I looked at required pinging the phone to get a location. That, to me, was, at best, a marinal improvement. It shifts the burden from me to her and that's about it. The issue is her worrying though. You can't count on pinging a phone after a crash since it may have gotten broken. So something she has to ping would need to be pinged before a crash, but she doesn't know if a crash will ever happen, much less when if it does. I felt it had to be something she could check 10-12 hours after a crash when she has serious cause for concern. That relieves her from feeling she has to do something and reduces her worries.
&nbsp\\;
I'm curious, why would you think a cellphone would not survive a crash, but some other tracking device would? If anything, a cellphone usually survives most vehicle impacts. I am a reserve deputy sheriff and I know that we have pulled perfectly working cellphone from horrendous crashes (and remember 9/11?) And if you are willing to carry a tracking device in the first place, do you really think you can find one that is smaller than a cellphone?

Old 06-23-2008, 01:53 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look for a wife upgrade. Sounds like you have trouble at home.

Quick Reply: Realtime GPS Tracking