General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went down for the first time :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008 | 05:29 PM
knockerjoe
Advanced
Default RE: Went down for the first time :(

Get the bike fixed and get back on the horse! glad your ok.

Old 06-19-2008 | 06:35 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

JB not trying to hijack Cryto thread. Everything you asked made sense. In my case I locked going in to a lowside skid and seemed in control until the rubber hooked up and went high side. I felt like I was catapulted off the bike. The course of action no matter how dumb I think the cage was is to not be in that position. Assume if it can happen it will. In my case I was getting ready to go into a real nice banked turn instead of assuming the cage is going to cross the solid line at the last minute to change freeways.It doesn't matter if they where right or wrong a diiferent metality and attention level on my part could have prevent the situation. Because of younger&nbsp\\;riders might be reading. I was wearing a leather jacket, new jeans(that are not new any more),fullfinger gloves, boots and DOT helmet. Well I got up and rode home albeit I do have a hellava bone bruise in my pelvis and elbow. But my jacket went back to have the sleeve replaced. No road rash.&nbsp\\;My gloves are well abraided on the tips and palms, note I said on the tips. And jeans look like they are acid washed on one side,the rivets are gone. No contact on the head. Only thing I can say riding super slab in the big city "ASSUME IF IT CAN HAPPEN IT WILL"
&nbsp\\;
Ride Hard and Ride Safe. Crypto hope you get back on your ride soon.

Old 06-19-2008 | 07:01 PM
Cryptoboy
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

ORIGINAL: JBA111

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; She didn't hit you and you didn't hit her so I still dont understand why you went down?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; did you lockup and low side or highside?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Or lockup with&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;the front end turned away from her causein yu to go down?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; did you lay her down to stop faster ?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I can see you&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;being pissed dead off cause she cut you off, but it kinda sounds like you should examine your reactions in emergency stoping too!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;& nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; and I'm askin this for the new riders out there who dont know&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;that layin a bike down to emergency stop is a big NONO. you&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;will stop faster&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;with rubber on the road!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I hope you heal fast and get the bike back up crypto&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; good luck&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;to you man&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
I went down because she pulled right in front of me and slammed on her brakes.&nbsp\\; I hit mine, they locked, so I let them go, but I was still going to hit her, so I hit the brakes again. They locked again and by then it was too late, the bike was down.&nbsp\\; I didn't do it to stop faster, or to make an emergency stop.&nbsp\\; It happened very fast and there wasn't much that could be done.&nbsp\\; Like I said, in hindsight I might have been able to get into the left lane, but as I didn't know if anyone was there, that wasn't really an option.
&nbsp\\;
I've been riding for about 7 years now (on Harley's at least).&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008 | 12:01 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

Guys I'm going to be the devil here and it's cause some of the new riders readin this&nbsp\\;might learn what to do.
&nbsp\\; John yu did a classic highside, you need to learn how to panic stop and practice it.&nbsp\\; I usually practice them a couple times every couple months.&nbsp\\; and that has saved my bacon from highsidein several times over the last 4decades of ridein.&nbsp\\; it does help you react faster to a locked rear wheel.&nbsp\\; consider yurself WAY lucky highsiders often end up Under the bike!!&nbsp\\; John please go take a motorcycle safety course, this is something they teach and practice.
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Crypto, from your report it sounds like you locked it up recovered&nbsp\\; and&nbsp\\; locked it up again and then low sided.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;you could have had the front tire turned or had the bike&nbsp\\;leanin to the downside and that pulled you down.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;but there was a definate reason the bike went down.&nbsp\\; it was reacting to your actions.&nbsp\\; it sounds like&nbsp\\; had the bike not went down you might could have stopped if your bike didnt slide into the car when it was slidein down the pavement on it's side.
&nbsp\\; And PLEASE dont take this wrong guys, I have been way lucky to have not went down in the same situations over the years,&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; but for the newer riders and some ol dudes&nbsp\\; readin this who think going down is a good option.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Hay I wastaught by an ol Harley rider who would swear up and down that a bike could slide to a stop on it's side faster than up on the tires, and maybe that was true way back in the time we had drum brakes but not today.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; slidein into the side of a car is almost always better than slidein up under one!

Old 06-20-2008 | 01:41 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer

Glad you're okay Crypto!&nbsp\\; Bike and ankle sounds like all will be okay, and that's good.&nbsp\\;I think the same lady went down my street too.&nbsp\\; I also went down, though twice in three dayssudden stop, gravel, front brake with the wheel turned both times.&nbsp\\; MSF 101 says this is a big no no...[sm=smiley24.gif]2600 miles and in my first season...guess I better slow it down and go back to a...b...c...&nbsp\\;and no more rolling stops forgetting about the speeding person&nbsp\\;that could fly over the rise out of nowhere !&nbsp\\;You've done well to go 6 yrs. without a drop. Hopefully with 2 drops back-to-back, I can go 12 years before another one[8D]!&nbsp\\;Damage light on mine tootank and the important stuff all goodbuying a micro mesh kit to take the scratches out of the windshield and engine guard (have a new love for&nbsp\\;my engine guard now).&nbsp\\;Live and learnthose two words seem to go nicely together, yes !&nbsp\\;So as folks say, take care, and keep the shiny side up !

Old 06-20-2008 | 11:07 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

JB Thanks for your advise. Absolutely no offense taken. Actually the way I was taught that there is no true reason to every lay the bike down. And 100% agree that the bike stops faster on the tires than crash bars. I have take the MSF course in the past and will again. ONe question when you practice panic stops how do you actually do that.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008 | 03:12 PM
njdiver
Road Captain

Sorry to hear about your mishap, welcome to the elite crowd of us who HAVE dumped it, now you no longer belong to the other crowd of those who haven't.&nbsp\\; Good luck, get the bike fixed and get back in the wind!!