General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Pumps - Are we Being Cheated

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Pumps - Are we Being Cheated

In my neck of the woods, all gas stations have only one hose on a gas pump.&nbsp\\; When I select Premium, how much Regular or Mid-Grade am I getting before the Hi-Test starts flowing?&nbsp\\; I figure the hose, internal pump and feeder line on the gas pump&nbsp\\;is full of Regular gas (today's prices) when&nbsp\\; pull up to it and select Premium.&nbsp\\; How much of this "other" gas am I paying for before the hi-test gas makes it to the nozzle.&nbsp\\; Not only am I paying about 45 cents too much for the gas, but I only want Premium in my Electra Geezer.&nbsp\\; I can not find any older pumps with a nozzle for each grade of gasoline.&nbsp\\; How much are we talking about here.&nbsp\\; Maybe a gallon?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; My tank usually only holds about four gallons when I fuel up, so 25% of my fuel is not what I want.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I'm probably wrong.&nbsp\\; I hope so....&nbsp\\;

Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Gas Pumps - Are we Being Cheated

Nope, you're not wrong....I try to buy only at stations with three hoses also.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:55 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

No choice here.
Havent seen a 3 hose pump in years.
MikeM
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-18-2008, 05:56 PM
satansoft
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the amount is minischule, the hose does not hold fluid, as some people seem to think. Dont worry about it. Its not even 1/4 of a litre in the hose.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I only use gas stations that still have 3 hoses.&nbsp\\; I once didn't care, then one day, the local Mobil ran out of Regular and Plus, so everyone was only using Premium.&nbsp\\; I pumped up, and it was the best my bike ever ran.&nbsp\\; I couldn't believe the boost in power.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

From now on I'll go to the station with you and you can fill my bike up first.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:21 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

You can always pump a gallon or two on the ground first. That should clear the hose.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 PM
radridd
Tourer

So you think that is the only way we are being cheated. Just pumped 6.2 gal. in a 5 gal. can this afternoon for mowing. I only filled the can to the full line. Told the clerk they should check the pump. She said they were just checked that morning. DUH!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

I've always wondered that myself. I know of only one station here that has 3 hoses. I like using Sunoco gas simply because it's 94 octane. I know 1 octane isn't chit, but it supports my sport as well...lol. Think I'll run the tank dry and see if I notice a difference with the 3 hose station.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

ORIGINAL: satansoft

the amount is minischule, the hose does not hold fluid, as some people seem to think. Dont worry about it. Its not even 1/4 of a litre in the hose.
&nbsp\\;
Nope your wrong the hose does hold fuel, I know because I tested it once, I turned off the pump then squirted another half gallon or so out of the hose, then when I restarded the pump (with the valve closed) the pump ran up a half of a gallon filling the hose back up.
This has bothered me since I got my bike, with only a 3.3 gallon tank I can only put about 2.5 gallons in if the fuel light has just come on, Im pretty sure im running about half and half in my bike and leaving a gallon or so of premimum for the next guy.
We have one station in town with a dedicated premimum hose&nbsp\\;and even though they have the 10% ethanol crap my bike runns better on that because at least its all premimum.&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Gas Pumps - Are we Being Cheated