General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About the "reach seat"

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
08HSTC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About the "reach seat"

Hey AZTwiggy and anyone else with the "reach seat". I understand the reasoning behind the seat. Is it comfortable, padded well, etc. The "Boss" was thrown from a horse about 8 years ago and has some lower back problems from that fall. The touring seats have been the most comfortable for her with their extra padding. As we try to get her feet on the ground for her new bike, the reach seat seems to be the last piece of the puzzle. If they are as hard as the "sundowner", she would rather not spend the money, but get the original seat redone to accomodate her needs. Any ideas are suggestions would be appreciated!!
&nbsp\\;
Thanks

Old 06-18-2008, 05:11 PM
DrWoo77
Stage II
Default RE: About the "reach seat"

I bought one for my inseam-challengedness.&nbsp\\; It makes it easier to reach forward controls since the forward end is more tapered and the bucket is pushed forward, compared to stock.&nbsp\\; It provides a more vertical surface right where your tailbone is, which is nice if you are really accelerating.&nbsp\\; On the stock seat (on an '08 Fat Bob) I felt like my butt would slide back enough so my feet would come off the controls!&nbsp\\; As much as the seat is good at pushing you forward, it falls short on comfort, it's a tradeoff.&nbsp\\; That top ridge if the bucket is resting right behind your tailbone, and on long rides, for me it is bothersome (and I don't have back problems).&nbsp\\; I am now inclined to address my particular issue by lowering the bike overall and putting on mid controls. Another question you should ask her is whether the semi-reclined position one assumes with forward controls is more or less stressfull on her lower back&nbsp\\;than if she had mid controls.&nbsp\\; BTW, I Bought a 2-up sundowner first and traded it in because my feet&nbsp\\;were flat on the deck.&nbsp\\; When I get my shocks/ controls done, I am going back to the sundowner, it was more comfortable (i.e., not as hard).&nbsp\\; Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The Reach seat on the softail deluxe was both comfortable, and useful.&nbsp\\; Moved the wife forward, and down so she could reach the ground better.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
stubby
Road Captain

Check out Corbin. I have the reach seat solo and like it. You can purchase the passenger seat and good back supports for both. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:23 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: About the "\\;reach seat"\\;

My Sundowner is not hard.&nbsp\\; Much more comfortable than the stock or the Mustang (have'nt tried Corbin), but have no problem staying in the saddle all day..

Old 06-18-2008, 05:40 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: About the "\\\\\\;reach seat"\\\\\\;

I got the reach seat and love it. I'm 61 years old 28 in. inseam and need all the comfort I can get. It seems just as soft as the stock on my E.G. but being not as wide your legs come closer together, much more comfortable for me.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: About the "\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;reach seat"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;

I'm very happy with the Reach seat on my RK.&nbsp\\; It has a built in lower back rest which I lean back on when riding.&nbsp\\; The stock seat I'd also slide back and basically held my self in place by holding on to the grips.&nbsp\\; With the Reach seat my feet are now flat on the ground but I also bought motorcycle boots with 2" heels and now my feet are easily on the ground.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 AM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: About the "\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;reach seat"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;

I had the reach seat, and hated it.&nbsp\\; It pushed me too far forward, and made me feel cramped.&nbsp\\; I&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;switched to&nbsp\\;the Corbin Gambler, and was more than happy to dump the reach seat.