General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:11 AM
my03hd
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail oil change

Has anyone ever drained their oil through the cases? I have a 2003 Fatboy that has been sitting for a while and all the oil has drained to the cases. Rather than starting it to push the oil back into the tank and risk wet sumping it I thought I would drain it through the pipe plug at the bottom of the cases. A friend says this is the way to go but I have read where others say never to remove that plug. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:33 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Softail oil change

That is BS do NOT remove the case plugs. You can try using a fluid extractor if you are worried about it. Some guys will squirt some marvel mystery oil into the spark plug holes to avoid a dry start. Others will remove the plug wires and crank the engine a few times to pre oil the engine a bit. Just don't crank the starter too long or you will risk overheating it. Multiple short bursts will do. I would do the MM oil in the cylinders and crank it multiple times to get some oil flow going.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:20 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

That is BS do NOT remove the case plugs. You can try using a fluid extractor if you are worried about it. Some guys will squirt some marvel mystery oil into the spark plug holes to avoid a dry start. Others will remove the plug wires and crank the engine a few times to pre oil the engine a bit. Just don't crank the starter too long or you will risk overheating it. Multiple short bursts will do. I would do the MM oil in the cylinders and crank it multiple times to get some oil flow going.
&nbsp\\;
KBF,
&nbsp\\;
I have heard many times not to remove the case plugs. Why is this?
Self destruct? It looks to just be a threaded plug.
MikeM
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Will not hurt anything to remove the case plug, and of course replace it properly.&nbsp\\; It's just that some people confuse the case plug with an oil drain plug, leading to problems as you might suspect.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I have to disagree. Do NOT remove plug from engine case. Many have tried and broken their cases. I am sure some have succeeded, but why take the chance.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:31 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no reason to take it out, and it's got red loctite on it to discourage taking it out...I've done it once in the past, know a few others who have by mistake...I've heard all the horror stories about cracking the cases, but can't say I know of it actually happening...if someone asks me, after the fact, I tell em just put the thing back in and don't do it again...[8D]

Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM
my03hd
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I read my service manuel over and over but couldn't find anything about that plug. I guess they really don't want you to mess with it!