General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Metzler cupping-why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008 | 06:24 AM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Default RE: Front Metzler cupping-why?

Davewear, Yes, Sarg is absolutely right. No doubt front braking provides 70% braking but sometimes we are drilled so much on this that we tend to forget that we have rear brakes. Having said that we must as a reflex use both brakes, front and back but as Sarg said dont use the front as primary braking specially in curve. I would think it is a matter of balancing the front and back. For an emergency stop, yes both brakes maximal. Ordinarily when I come to stop, if I used my back brakes right to the end , the stops are much smoother. If you will use front only even a little off steering may u drop the bike.

Old 06-11-2008 | 06:55 AM
2kanzam
Tourer

ORIGINAL: davewear

wow sarg i think that might be the worst braking advise ever.....
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
55Bubba i run my ME880's at 45psi front, no cupping.
&nbsp\\;
+1.....just drag your feet!

Old 06-11-2008 | 11:36 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

I have heard of the cupping issues with these and other tires it is usally related to tire pressure,under inflation.

Old 06-11-2008 | 12:10 PM
MHRider
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: FastHoss

I have heard of the cupping issues with these and other tires it is usally related to tire pressure,under inflation.
&nbsp\\;
+1

Old 06-11-2008 | 01:47 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member

wow sarg i think that might be the worst braking advise ever.....
Absolutely crazy advice.

Old 06-11-2008 | 01:51 PM
Steve On 3
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks guys,&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
good advice all.&nbsp\\; I'll up the pressure a little to see if that helps things out.&nbsp\\; AS far as replacing things and fork oil.&nbsp\\; The entire front end (forks, trees, etc) were replaced last year including new neck bearings.&nbsp\\; I'm not sure wheel bearings were replaced but they have been serviced following the maintenance schedule.&nbsp\\; In fact, the whole bike has been maintained meticulously.&nbsp\\; I will drain and refill the fork oil to factory specs just to eliminate one area of concern.&nbsp\\; Of course, since it's already cupped, there won't be any fixing this one but maybe I can fix it and then put a new tire on.&nbsp\\; It's a great running and riding bike and best of all...no payments.&nbsp\\; That really makes the $ per&nbsp\\;mile cost very attractive indeed.&nbsp\\; Besides, I'm waiting on the 200hp water cooled superbike that you can't find the radiator on.
&nbsp\\;
I'm still thinking on that braking thing
&nbsp\\;
Bubba

Old 06-11-2008 | 02:45 PM
pjpockets
Cruiser

Cupping comes from tire bounce. It would seem its your forks. Perhaps you have to heavy a load in the back of the bike.

Old 06-11-2008 | 02:48 PM
cornishman
Road Master

This might help explain cupping.
CUPPING:
Cupping, which is more accurately described as scalloping, is a natural wear pattern on motorcycle tires and it will always follow the tread pattern. It is not a sign that you have bad suspension parts. It merely shows that your tire is indeed gripping the road when you make turns. This scalloping takes place within the side wear bands of a leaned motorcycle. The extreme forces that come in to play when the bike is leaned in a turn are what produce the effect and when the wear becomes sufficient, one will experience vibration and noise when one banks into a turn on a scalloped tire. The leading edge of the tread grips the road and the rubber is scuffed off the tire in that area causing a depression. As the tire rotates, the pressure moves to the trailing edge of the tread pattern and the tire flexes there which causes less scuffing so less material is ground off the tire. The more complex the tread pattern, the more complex the scalloping pattern will be. The softer the compound of the tire, the sooner this scalloping will become evident. Radial tires are more prone to cupping than are bias ply because the compound of radials is more often softer. Improper balance has nothing to do with "cupping" on a motorcycle tire. Improper balance will merely cause your bike to vibrate at speed. Low tire pressure will exacerbate this wear pattern and you will lose many servicable miles by running low. Check pressure often.

Old 06-11-2008 | 02:57 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

Braking has absolutely nothing to do with tire cupping. It is possible that fork springs have become fatigued and the preload is no longer equal.

The first thing I would do is take off the fork caps and measure preload. You do that by jacking the bike up so there is no load on the front tire. Then take off the fork cap, carefully. Then with the forks fully extended, rest the fork cap on top of the assembly, including any washers and spacers. Measure the distance from the top of the fork to the lip of the fork cap. Measure both then compare. As little as 1/16 inch difference between the two measurements can cause tires to cup. If the springs are original equipment I would suggest replacing them.

Also, as others have said, when refilling the forks with fluid be certain to put equal amounts in both forks.

Let us know what you find.

Old 06-11-2008 | 03:28 PM
Steve On 3
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Wow, Cornishman.&nbsp\\; Thanks for the explanation.&nbsp\\; However, why don't my rear tires cup too?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; The bike has a whole new front end complete to handlebars.&nbsp\\; Everything from the steering neck up was replaced including the calipers and rotors.&nbsp\\; I'm betting that when the shop put it back together, they didn't get the fork oil right.&nbsp\\;It makes sense when I really think about it.&nbsp\\; I've had to run different fork air pressure since the replacement than I did before.&nbsp\\; It got literally everythng new up front.&nbsp\\; The shop had a new tech and he no longer is there.&nbsp\\; Wonder why?
&nbsp\\;
I'm going to just go ahead and drain the fork oil and replace it with the proper amount
&nbsp\\;
Thanks to all
&nbsp\\;
Bubba

Quick Reply: Front Metzler cupping-why?