General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Klever Lever vs. Throttle Mate throttle lock extenders

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 PM
06EGlide
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Klever Lever vs. Throttle Mate throttle lock extenders

I know many have had both good and bad things to say about Throttle Mate and Klever Lever throttle lock extenders. I just want to give my opinions to anyone interested in these products being I have purchased both.
I first purchased a Klever Lever, www.outlawchrome.com/Klever%20Lever.htm , and tried to install it. It would not stay on the star screw no matter what I tried, except gluing it. I called them and was told there is a ridge around the outside of the star screw and a slot cut into the throttle mate so it would snap in once pushed onto the ridge. Well, there is no ridge on my star screw. I emailed them and was told all Harley star screws are the same. The thin plastic ended up breaking trying to get it to stay on. I have read several other posts here and some seem to have no problems installing the Throttle Mate while others have had the same experience I had. For $7.00 I wasn’t going to get aggravated over it.
I then purchased the Throttle Mate, www.throttlemate.com/ . Installation was a breeze and it works great. It will never fall off. I put a small drop of blue locktite on the setscrew. The only thing I don’t like is that I think it is a bit too long and gets in the way when moving your thumb to hit the turn signal button. Being it is metal, aluminum I think, it will be no problem to cut down a bit. For $12.95 plus $2.50 shipping it is a great product and works well.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Un updating ditto to an old thread.

I picked up a "klever lever" at J&P during 2011 Bike Week. As the previous post indicated, I had a helluva time getting it to attach. Finally, after turning it over and trying again, I got it to slip on. I used it for 2 days on the Interstate but right now it is lying on the road somewhere between Jacksonville FL and Pensacola ! It fell off ! I must have bumped it with my gloves. Doesnt seem like a very good design to me.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

So thats what that thing is for... I'll be darned

Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM
kc5gxc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the throttle mate. Loc tited it too, but it fell off in my shed. Found that I didn't tighten it up enough. Got to snug it up so it gets in the star screw cover deeply. Now with more loctite, it is on for good. Really like it as it's good to be able to move that arm when it gets to hurtin".
Pete

Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My Throttle Mate was installed 4 years ago and I haven't done anything but use it since.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm a little leary on locking the throttle with a screw.. i've been using the factory setup off and on, but the throttle wanted to hang during shifts so i haven't used it in a while.

i don't have either of the above levers, but it seems it would limit the amount the screw can actually turn.

so you guys say it works ok though... hmmm..

Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

back when I ran a klever lever ( don't run anything on my throttle lock anymore) I just put a bit of silicone on it . stayed there for years with no issues