General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind vibration/noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 PM
bigstevex4
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wind vibration/noise

At the excpence of being a smart a$$ thats what its about I wear ear plugs on my wind shieldless RK and dont on the road glide and a helmet always makes it wource just bucking more air.&nbsp\\;love that windburnt lobster look/

Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I find that the standard 12" windshield on my Ultra works for me, though I do look through, not over it. The optics are good and so the buffeting and noise is reduced. I wear a 3/4 helmet with flip down shield. At speeds over 65 I usually drop the shield down, and the noise is reduced a lot, enough to hear the music just fine. I am looking through sunglasses, the face shield and the windshield. No problem. At night I use clear safety glasses.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 AM
erictolsma
6th Gear

It sounds strange but try LOWERING your windshield. It worked for met. I ride a street bob with relatively low detachable windshield. When I have the windshield maximum up, the wind turbulence around my helmet is very annoying above 110-120 km/h. But when I have the windshield as low as possible (difference is only about 8 cm) the turbulence is almost gone!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:56 AM
djvargas
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: johnvisser

I recently purchased my first HD - 2006 Classic that has been mostly converted to an Ultra. I experience a wind vibration that seems to occur on my helemt that is very annoying and I cannot determine the source or if this is normal. I have a 9 1/2" windshield and I look about two inches above the windshield. I have lowers and the fairing bat wings also. When I drop lower into the seat or move up closer to the windshield the noise/vibration on my helmet diminishes considerably. I have tried a half and 3/4 helmet with only a slight improvment with the 3/4. I generally wear ear plugs. I tried a demo bike before I bought this one and do not recall this vibration/noise.

Any ideas ??
I have the same problem and it is very uncomfortable. It seems to happen only with my quick release windshield and my full face helmet combination. My 3/4 does not do this as much and without the windshield there is no problem with either helmet.

Seeing that when you shift in position you have altered the physics. The eddy currents may have a harmonic which creates a "pressure" at a certain distance past the windshield. Raising or lowering your head (by helmet size) or the windshield may help disrupt the harmonic. Changing your seat position either forward or back may disrupt the harmonic.

Hmm, I am going to have to try some of these things myself.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:13 AM
soulfish
Cruiser

I would not discount the wind coming up from below the tank.&nbsp\\; I know you said lowers, but try holding your arm across your chest and see if the turbulence is blocked.&nbsp\\; That flow upwards can shake your head/helmet, and it feels like it's coming over the shield.