General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost wheel weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
Default RE: Lost wheel weight

ORIGINAL: ktm_scott

ORIGINAL: Jerry L

I hadn't heard of these beads, Scott. Thanks! Sound like a good way to balance w/o the crappy looking weights stuck on the nice chrome wheels. When you change tires, do you just pour them out and save em for the next tire, or get new ones?
Jerry
I haven't changed my rubber since installing them. But, I did provide beer consumption assistance to a friend who owns a Gold Wing while he changed his. The beads form into a semi-solid cluster in specific areas on the inside of the tire. I assume these are the areas needing balancing based on tire imperfections. He scraped them out, weighed them, and added a few to the mix to match the manufacturer's recommended weight for the tires he uses. You can pour them into the valve stem or drop them directly into the tire before seating the bead. I did the former in my Cobras.

People here have given me and others crap for even considering such an option. If you consider the physics involved, it makes tremendous sense. Before I became a beer consumption consultant, I earned a Masters in physics from U.T. That was almost 20 years ago, but the principals are sound even though some here and elsewhere weren't consulted on the physics involved.
Thanks for the info, Scott. I was never one to consider the goop stuff that balances tires as I thought what a mess to clean up when changing a tire. But this bead stuff looks like it's worth a try. Only wish I had heard of it before I bought those expensive HD chrome weights, LOL.
Jerry

Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
GaryInSanDiego
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search on various message boards on Dyna Beads or anything else you are considering buying that you're not familiar with.

I noticed a weight missing a few months ago on my rear wheel, and I never noticed a problem in handling. After I had my tires replaced, I marked the wheels at the location of the weights in case I throw another one.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 PM
UncleDon
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found my answer

Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM
turczytj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, back to the original question...