General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Lady Riders

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 PM
08HSTC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Lady Riders

Any thoughts ona Fatboy for a fairly new Lady Rider? She is leaning toward a Deluxe that will have to be lowered and either a "Reach" seat or a customization of the original seat to accomodate her short legs. She will be trying out a Fatboy later this week. It willhave to becustomized also. It seems like a used Fatboy is a lot easier to find than a Deluxe. Is the Fatboy a good idea or should she just stay with the Deluxe?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:21 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: HD Lady Riders

My wife just got a Deluxe and I think it's the perfect bike for her. Ideally we should have got her a used metric to learn the basics on but we didn't so it is what it is.I suspect she will grow into it soon enough. She doing very well with it on the hiway but has dropped it twice during practice in parking lots. Turning from a stop is her weakness.

I kind of wanted her to take my Heritage off my hands so I could get a RKC but the Deluxe fits her just right.Plus it's much easier to bring up off stand. Your lady must have really short legs if you need to lower a Deluxe.My wife is5'6" andcan flat foot my Heritage, even more so the Deluxe.

As far as the Fatboy,the weight is about the same so it will probably be a matter of how well it fits her, (handlebars and seat).

Have you thought about a Sporty low rider or Dyna?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:22 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I checked out the Fat Boy when shopping and just liked the Deluxe better all the way around. From the seat, to the bars and especially because ofthe better front end lighting (passing lamps in addition to the headlamp). Just my .02. I did like the Fat Boy, just not as much as the Deluxe. Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:24 PM
08HSTC
Advanced

She sat on both of them but found the Deluxe to be the best. I didn't think of the Fatboy while we were at the dealer so she wants to try that when we go past there this week.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:26 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

I've seen an awful lot of ladies write in here that they love the Deluxe. I have a sporty and love it, and when I go "Bigger" I will be getting a Heritage Classic. But I have heard lots of good things about the Deluxe.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:40 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Any bike can be made to fit. whatever bike "talks" to her is the one she should get. replacing some parts its cheap and easy. Replacing the whole bike... now thats the hard part.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:07 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Of course, you can customize a Fat Boy to change all of those features I mentioned too.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:09 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

I did ride a Dyna Low Rider this weekend and that bike is a blast to ride. Reminded me alot of my Sporty. Very easy to throw around and it just screams around turns.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
dynalowrider07
Intermediate

I traded my 883L for a Dyna Low Rider. My husband installed Progressive shocks on the rear and we installed a Harley "reach seat". This works fine for me, both feet flat on the ground, and only 5'-2'!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

On another forum of lady Harley riders (which is now defunct) most of those ladies loved riding Fat Boys.

Quick Reply: HD Lady Riders