General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 bucks for oil filter??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 16 bucks for oil filter??

Sorry, this is more of a "rant" then anything else.
Went to my local dealer (now I see why some folks call them stealers) yesterday to by a oil filter for my EG. The catilogue says $13.95 for the chrome version. I figure this is already highway robbery but I want the chrome, and I like to stay with HD for the filter.
Anyway, they charge me $15.95, plus tax of course!! Thats $17.15 for an oil filter.
I ask "why more expensive then in the book". The guy explains that the book is just a reference and they can charge what they want.
I told him to keep his precious oil filter and left.
I know they can mark up the bikes but I was under the impression that the price in the parts catilogue was the price.
Guess I was wrong. They can and will gouge you anywhere and any way they can.
I have always tryed to keep a positive attitude toward my local dealer but this is it. I know its only $2, but thats not the point.
Screw these theiven ******!

Thanks for listening (reading), rant off.

Doug

Old 03-01-2006, 10:14 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: 16 bucks for oil filter??

Good for you Doug, now post that dealer here.. https://www.hdforums.com/m_231961/tm.htm
And here too... http://stealer-dealer.com/apage.htm

I've never seen them inflating the prices on parts too, usually just bikes in the past[:@]

I ordered filters from here 2 days ago and they are due to be delivered today with 20% off the book price.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_301405/tm.htm

Old 03-01-2006, 10:38 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you Doug. For the dated filter technology you get with a HD filter, they should be priced at about $1.95. There are much better filters on the market and with the crucial role the filter plays, its worth doing some research on them and oil. I use Amsoil products in all of my vehicles including my bikes. It's worth the time to check out the testing thats been done on their products. If you're gonna pay more than 12 bucks for a filter, at least get one that does the job it is intended to do.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
ORIGINAL: Varooom

Sorry, this is more of a "rant" then anything else.
Went to my local dealer (now I see why some folks call them stealers) yesterday to by a oil filter for my EG. The catilogue says $13.95 for the chrome version. I figure this is already highway robbery but I want the chrome, and I like to stay with HD for the filter.
Anyway, they charge me $15.95, plus tax of course!! Thats $17.15 for an oil filter.
I ask "why more expensive then in the book". The guy explains that the book is just a reference and they can charge what they want.
I told him to keep his precious oil filter and left.
I know they can mark up the bikes but I was under the impression that the price in the parts catilogue was the price.
Guess I was wrong. They can and will gouge you anywhere and any way they can.
I have always tryed to keep a positive attitude toward my local dealer but this is it. I know its only $2, but thats not the point.
Screw these theiven ******!

Thanks for listening (reading), rant off.

Doug

Old 03-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I just bought a couple K&N chrome oil filters from Dennis Kirk for $12.99

Some of these dealers will go to any extreme to screw you

Old 03-01-2006, 10:38 PM
superdog48
Tourer

Doug go for you to leave without the filter. Do you have a NAPA store in your area. Check with them to see if the price is cheaper, or find a store that sells WIX filters. That is the company NAPA buys from.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 PM
HDUC1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thiel's Wheels HD has oil filters for $9.68. This is an everyday low price on maintenance type items. They run a long list of items at very good prices.

Thiel's Wheels

Old 03-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im doing the amsoil thing also, $11 a filter aint bad and they claim to be a good product, well see.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:20 PM
superdog48
Tourer

Thanks HDUD1, I was giving a general store area. Since I live near New Orleans HD, do not know the price as of yet, had some filters on hand at home. Usually I buy a few to keep , since I have two HD. But that is a good price compared to $18 bucks.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:30 AM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always understood the business (correct me if I'm wrong) that dealers really make their profits from parts, accesories and service and the actual profit margin on the bikes is the least of them all. If ya get the bike, the follow on business is the money.

zombie

Old 03-02-2006, 12:36 AM
100yrfatboy
Road Captain

My dealer almost always sells for list. We usually have 2 20% off sales a year and I stock up on all maint. items, if I run out, I buy online or bite the bullet and pay list occassionally. I can't believe they mark up parts. That $2 on that filter is 15%. INSANE!!!!![sm=bs.gif]

Quick Reply: 16 bucks for oil filter??