Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC96 in hot climates??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:32 AM
danielt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC96 in hot climates??

Hi,

another silly question coming from me. U know I ordered a FXDL to be delivered in Perth Australia.
during the summer months it does tend to get very hot down there. over 35 degrees celcius.
I have heard that a liquid cooled engine such as the revolution engine would be more suitable to such conditions.

What is actually the problem with hot climates and the air-cooed TC96? Does it overheat and stop running? Are they less powerfull in such conditions?

This question might be silly....but I do appreciate any information.

Thank you guys once again for ur help!

Daniel

Old 06-01-2008, 03:48 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default RE: TC96 in hot climates??

Daniel, I live in south Florida, it is hot here most of the year, between 90 - 100F, think thats around 50 C+/-. I ride in traffic quite a bit, and I mean Miami traffic ( real bad with lots of Dumasses), get the warning light every now and then when I am stopped for a while but I have Mobil 1 V synthetic oil and an oil cooler so I am not worried about engine damage. Remember an air cooled engine needs air to stay cool, so as as you are moving you will be fine. I also ride a KLR and it gets just as hot except the fan kicks on and cooks me while cooling the motor. I would not worry too much as a crapload of your countrymen rideHarleys down under.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:16 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Northern Mexico, er Southern California and the summers often get above 100+ F. My wife has a FXDL and has never had a problem, not have I with my Road King (also a TC 96). You got no worries mate.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:46 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Daniel, my advice would be that if you are worried add an oil cooler kit - http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US- and run synthetic oil. Least then you've covered your bases.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:23 AM
08FXST
Cruiser

I'm in Alice Springs with an 08 FXST...no problems.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:49 AM
congocycles
Advanced

It will only overheat if your sitting still for a decent amount of time. If stuck in heavy traffic hit a backroad or just pull over and let her cool down for a bit. The aircooled bike needs to be moving to keep cool. Run Syn. Oil and just stay out of heavy traffic and you will be fine.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:16 AM
thelawdoc
Tourer

Daniel, Aside from the oil cooler add-on, you can consider the heat shields that mount under the seat. Still, as already said, if you are not moving, that 96 will broil. Riding here in NYC, heavy traffic is so unavoidable I just kept my 88.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 AM
mptrahan
Advanced

danilet...like others have mentioned, god syn oil will take care of any issues, unless heavy bump/bump traffic like thelawdoc, once you're moving...its coolin

Old 06-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Daniel, look at nightrider.com. Buy the XiED for you new bike. They only work on the 07 and 08 models. 15 minute install. I'm in SoCalifornia, it gets hot here. The bike no longer gets hot sitting at stoplights. For $100 the XiED puts your air/fuel mix where it should be. It will also run much better than a bike without them. They eliminate the need for an expensive tuner. Add pipes and an open air filter and ride. My Heritage was hotter than my 99 Evo but now it's cooler, by far.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:58 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

XiED sound slike a good idea, but to be honest with you, I and Im sure lotsa people like me dont want anything aftermarket in their harnesses or ECM. Just me i guess. SERT will be the most expensive way to go no doubt but in the hands of a good tuner, you get a bit more power and a cooler running engine. Wont be emmissions legal, but you and your engine wont be burning up. Note: if you ordered an HD international model, then your going to have active air exhaust with Catalytic converters. I WOULD NOT recommened any fuel enrichment devices, otherwise you'll smoke your converters and if you have strict emmission laws and have to get it tested, you may not like the bill to get it to pass.

Quick Reply: TC96 in hot climates??