General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resale Value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:35 AM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Resale Value?

I was curious if it is the fact that the economy is in the tank or the mass producution of Harleys that have made the resales values fall? I went to the dealer the other day to see about possibly trading my 07 Deluxe for a Street Glide. My bike (before fees and taxes was about $18k less than 1 year ago but the dealer offered $10.9k for trade. The bike is mint, not a mark on it, never been down and has a few extras on it too. I understand they need to be able to make money off it and their offer would be less than retail but still. Thats a 40% loss in value in less than a year, no better than any other brand out there. I was thinking they would at least offer $14-14.5k, that would still give them the opportunity to make money when they sell it.

I didnt buy my bike as an investment, I bought it to ride. I never figured Id think of "upgrading" so soon either. Maybe I should either look at selling on my own or maybe just add some nice bags and a new seat and ride the Deluxe for another year or two.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:48 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: Resale Value?

one of the reasons people would buy a Harley was you could always sell it easy, and it would retain a higher percentage of its purchase price. but as you and I found out its not like that anymore. You would think with new bike prices really getting up there people would be looking at used bikes as a better value, but it seems all they buyers want your bike for nothing .Look at what bikes are selling for on ebay, and the bikes that don't even get offers. clean low milage bikes with lots of extras are sitting.the only thing i hope is after the nov elections and the economy stabilizes the market prices will get to where you won't have to give your bike away after spending 24k for it.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Sportsterjeep
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't sell it, pay it off. Then buy another and you'll have two. That way you can lend a bike to your buddies who ride little japbikes when they want to ride for a day with you.In all honesty, I like having two. If I'm working on one and tearing it apart, or the shop has it and it's waiting on service, I still have another bike. My brother is stationed in Arizona (USMC) and he is coming home in two weeks to visit, he's glad that I kept the sportster, cuz now he can ride with me and our dad. Stupid him sold his sportster when he bought his Road King.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:20 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Everything about the economy is embarrasing,to think we are one of the Super Powers,and our politicians are letting this happen! The reallity is they have taken care of themselves at our expense, and why should they care.Analogy! US Government, a female dog ,politicians all hanging from the belly,with their eyes closed,and smiling!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Go on Kelly blue book and see what your bike is valued at.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:54 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Lightngsvt

I was curious if it is the fact that the economy is in the tank or the mass producution of Harleys that have made the resales values fall? I went to the dealer the other day to see about possibly trading my 07 Deluxe for a Street Glide. My bike (before fees and taxes was about $18k less than 1 year ago but the dealer offered $10.9k for trade. The bike is mint, not a mark on it, never been down and has a few extras on it too. I understand they need to be able to make money off it and their offer would be less than retail but still. Thats a 40% loss in value in less than a year, no better than any other brand out there. I was thinking they14, would at least offer $14-14.5k, that would still give them the opportunity to make money when they sell it.

I didnt buy my bike as an investment, I bought it to ride. I never figured Id think of "upgrading" so soon either. Maybe I should either look at selling on my own or maybe just add some nice bags and a new seat and ride the Deluxe for another year or two.
If the dealer gave you 14.5 for it they would probably sell it for at least 16k to 17k. Who is going to pay 16k for a used bike when on Harley's site it says 17,400 for a new one? If you want 14k for the bike sell it yourself and you can get it.

The Harley dealership probably pays at most 14.5k for a new one. Why would they pay that much for a used one? A person buying a bike has to pay 18k for a new one they would be willing to pay 14.5k for a used one. Just common sense.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:05 AM
kickstart pan
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the DeLux, go to Dragonfly or Hope for a fairing, and one of the hard bags bracket makers amd mount you some cop bags on it. You'll be happier in the long run.
Trading every year is a thing of the past. HD has changed stuff and now makes 1 year bikes.
Value will continue to drop as bikes become obsolete and parts harded to find.
This has never happened to HD before, you used to be able to buy a parts that fit from 1948 until 1984.
Lots of parts.
Frames that would go from 1938 until 1999, think about it.
Jap bikes 5 years old, and you can't get electronics and many parts that were only used for a year or 2. That's the game HD is playing now.
Aftermarket companies won't be able to produce replacement parts because cost will be to high if the part was only used for a short time.
Swap meets will be to technical to be of much use.
Specific needs for few bikes make the cost of repairs too high and a new bike is the only answer.
Try to simplify and get a bike that shows parts interchangable for many years.
The 08's have already changed wheels and axles that were only used for 4-5 years before changing, FI systems, o2 sensors, and internal engine and trans changes. All add to the fixability of your bikes as it ages.
Now if you can afford to trade and loose 40% every year or 2 then so be it.
AND now HD dealers are run by car salesman. So there ain't no way to trade without getting reamed.

that's all I have to say about that

kickstart

Old 05-31-2008, 09:19 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is exactly why I buy used and look for good deals! We are in tough times right now!
I scan ad's around this area for HD's for sale and they just don't seem to be selling that fast and the prices keep dropping and they still sit!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-31-2008, 09:52 AM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the way things are. best to sell it outright on your own.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:58 AM
WaterHog
Road Captain

Ill give ya 11 200.00

Quick Reply: Resale Value?