General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resale Value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:58 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Resale Value?

I think what the dealer offered you is consistent with what you would get in most places. They need to list it at or around Blue Book retail value so that they can still go down a little and make enough on the used sale. People selling used bikes themselves are often deluded, asking way too much. It's laughable when I see 2002 Fatboys listed in the paper for $16K. Gimme a break.

People buy Harleys, new or used, because they want a Harley. For the overwhelming majority of HD buyers, the decision is not made after pouring over independent reviews, comparisons of fuel economy, insurance rates, resale values, theft percentages, crashworthiness, etc. It certainly ain't the fuel economy (face it: HDs suck in that regard compared to other bikes) or the idea that you can make a lot (or lose less) when you sell it, because most folks turn right around and buy a newer one. Most people buy them because they want a *Harley* and can find a way to swing it without effecting finances too much. But, the times they are a-changing.

If you really want to sell it, split the difference between the trade-in value and the retail value. You'll make a little more and probably actually sell it. Think of the $5K or so you "lost" as the cost of ownership in the bike's most valuable year: it's first.

(Whoever said that "Jap bikes" don't have parts availability after five years, go talk to any KLR owner. They'll tell you that you can get Kawasaki parts in any country in the world even for 20-year old bikes.)

Old 05-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

Did a quick search on KBB.com, they say retail is $16,300 for an 07 Deluxe. I'd really like to get $15k if I sold outright but sounds like $ 14k is more realistic. eh, sounds like keeping it is the best bet, when I bought it last year I planned to keep it 2 -3 years at least. At least I really do like my Deluxe so not sweat to hold on to it.

I might look into the fairing, I would love to be able to add tunes. Probably add some bags, it is so impractical to ride everyday without any storage cant stop at the store or anything.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:22 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've sold every bike I've owned with little trouble. Even the Sportster I sold about a month ago took about 3 weeks. If you list it at the current value it will sell. Then buy a new bike. I listed mine with Cycle Trader, HD forums bikes for sale, and Craigslist. The Cycle Trader ad sold it.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:20 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Remember, it is aBUYERS market.That`s just the way it is right now, and probably for a long time to come.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dog155

Everything about the economy is embarrasing,to think we are one of the Super Powers,and our politicians are letting this happen! The reallity is they have taken care of themselves at our expense, and why should they care.Analogy! US Government, a female dog ,politicians all hanging from the belly,with their eyes closed,and smiling!

Wouldn't have anything to do with Harley flooding the market for the past several years would it? I have a 67 Camaro that is worth15 times what it was worth when new. The difference is that you cannot get a 67 Camaro on every street corner. I see tons of Harleys for sale during a weekend ride. Harley fattened up the market, and now they are a dime a dozen.The gov is fcked up to be sure, but they did not tell Harely how many bikes to sell, and for how much.

Heck, the year after I bought my FXD, the 08 models were MSRP 1000.00 less than I paid for mine in 07. At first I was a little pissed, but I like the bike, and figured wtf, this years new FXD owners will get a break. Not my problem to worry about.Pay it off, enjoy it, and upgrade if and when I decide this bike isn't cutting it. Right now, don't see that as an issue. Ride on.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:16 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers use NADA not KBB, values are lower. You lose 20% out the door btw.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:31 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I've found by me if your lookin to trade your bike in they pull out the nada book, but when lookin to buy a used bike, they quote the kbb. kbb values are always higher.