General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer just charged me $162 for a new battery. WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008 | 05:00 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Dealer just charged me $162 for a new battery. WTF?

Searching the web, the best price I can find for a 2005 Road King battery is $90 for a generic battery on EBay. Interstate has them from $154 to $180. I found others in between. I don't think $150 plus tax (if they installed it and disposed of the old one) is that bad a deal.....So, cheer up Ken.

Old 05-29-2008 | 05:04 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

HD sealed AGM batteries usually last me about seven years and the last one cost just under $100. Looking at your sig pic (a great one by the way) I guess vibration takes it's toll on your battery.

If you bought it from HD, you did not get screwed. They're good people. Damn, that is pricey though.

Old 05-29-2008 | 05:08 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

ORIGINAL: UncleDon

ORIGINAL: scottmichael

Batteries and oil and to a lesser extent tires all went through a dramatic price increase about 3 weeks ago. The dealer had about 24 hours notice of the increase. Batteries overnight went up roughly 40% and the dealer net went down. The price of raw materials are what's being blamed. Keep in mind, HD batteries haven't gone up in years. We're offering 50% off battery tenders with a new battery purchase, to at least somewhat lessen the blow.

When blaming the dealer keep in mind boys, it ain't all profit. Sure, you can probably find one cheaper at the dollar store. If that's what your bike deserves, go for it.
Scott.so what you are saying is, HD batteries are the best,,,,,,,,bullcaca!! Bikes deserve real good batteries, not just HD batteries. Any reputable auto store has a great battery for 75% less then the stealership........waste your money if you so chose
Actually some of the best batteries were already pushing the $200 range (hate to see what those go for now!) Odessey I think is the name of one of the top end batteries for bikes. They are supposed to last forever practically, which is why they were typically double even the HD batteries.

Aren't the HD batteries made by Yuasa? I've had the same one on my bike now since I got it new (March 05). When I took it to the indy for a service I asked them to check it, and they said it was still going strong. Of course, it's on a battery tender most of the time I'm not riding, and they said how you ride affects it too (I do mostly longer rides, very little of the bar hopping type).

Old 05-29-2008 | 05:15 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master

Interstate batteries go on the average between $80.00 - $100.00 and carry a nationwide warranty. I've been installing them for the past 10 yrs and have had very few problems.
I think some one stated they have had there battery for 5 yrs, personally I would notkeep any cycle battery past 3 yrs.

Old 05-29-2008 | 05:20 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

Hmmmm! I heard that there is only a few battery manufactures and everyone sticks their name on them. Heard the same thing about pool chlorine. Dont kill the messenger.

Old 05-29-2008 | 05:26 PM
panmann
Banned

Batteries did jump...A Drag Specialties battery that we sold last year for $79.95 is $168 this year! All the dealer prices jumped accordingly! I don't know if ther have been any improvements in the glass matt resin technology or the lead is skyrocketing! I know all precious metals are way up.
Chuck

Old 05-29-2008 | 05:27 PM
cray49a
Road Master

As least he should have patted your head while you smoked his ____. JUST KIDDING! Well, screw it, at least you don't have to worry about no starts and the money you would have wasted anyway. LOL

Old 05-29-2008 | 05:28 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

ORIGINAL: RjCapp

Hmmmm! I heard that there is only a few battery manufactures and everyone sticks their name on them. Heard the same thing about pool chlorine. Dont kill the messenger.
BANG!BANG!

Hell if I know. Just going based on what I heard. I'm fine with buying a battery from HD, but if the same battery can be found at Pep Boys for 30% less, I'll be buying it from there!

Old 05-29-2008 | 05:57 PM
third_left_eye
Tourer

you bought an hd battery? WTF? I'd bet they are the same batteries you can buy elsewhere with an HD sticker on it. So your stock battery your replacing isn't an HD? If a battery is cared for, (battery tender for extended sitting) it should last close to 5 years if not more. I've never had a problem with the cheaper batteries.

Old 05-29-2008 | 07:05 PM
spotter
Cruiser

I bought a hd battery for my ultra three weeks ago from the stealer for 100.00 bucks. Plus I did get a reach around, plus, I saved a bunch of money on my insurance.

Quick Reply: Dealer just charged me $162 for a new battery. WTF?