General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer just charged me $162 for a new battery. WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008 | 03:27 PM
Twisted Humor
Road Master
Default RE: Dealer just charged me $162 for a new battery. WTF?

ORIGINAL: R1Geezrglide

Ken, don't let these guys beat you up. The factory battery may be pricey, but you get what you pay for. My 02 FLHT still had the original battery, going strong, when I sold it in 2006. Based on my bikes' delivery date, that battery was almost 5 years old. My current 05 still has the original battery in it as well. When you consider that my previous experience with MC batteries was based on a 2 year life cycle, I am pretty satisfied. I am always amused by those folks that save money buying Wallyworld battery with the "Life Time Warranty" only to end up replacing it 3 times in the first year. I'm not saying there aren't good alternatives to the Factory part, just that there are a lot of bad. At least with the HD part you know what you're getting. I think they call the 'piece of mind'....
Here is another one, only he don't squeal, he enjoysit.

Old 05-29-2008 | 03:31 PM
scottmichael
Intermediate

Batteries and oil and to a lesser extent tires all went through a dramatic price increase about 3 weeks ago. The dealer had about 24 hours notice of the increase. Batteries overnight went up roughly 40% and the dealer net went down. The price of raw materials are what's being blamed. Keep in mind, HD batteries haven't gone up in years. We're offering 50% off battery tenders with a new battery purchase, to at least somewhat lessen the blow.

When blaming the dealer keep in mind boys, it ain't all profit. Sure, you can probably find one cheaper at the dollar store. If that's what your bike deserves, go for it.

Old 05-29-2008 | 03:40 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Dealer is just gettin an early start on his kid's college tuition for next Fall.[&o]

Old 05-29-2008 | 03:42 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior

I used to work for a high end import and the replacement battery prices literally changed month to month with no warning. The parts manager would get the new price disc each month and that's when the fun began. Our 'big' battery went from $120.00 to $220.00 in one jump. The following month it dropped back to $150.00. Try explaining that to your customer.

Old 05-29-2008 | 03:51 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Did you get a battery tender?

Old 05-29-2008 | 04:04 PM
dhoward
Banned

Dealer lied to you.
Why do people let themselves get screwed and then complain about it?

[IMG]local://upfiles/55877/3C161C6614744AFC838D3A4B4A9930FE.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-29-2008 | 04:09 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I always find the price jumps interesting. So the price of batteries jumped up for whatever reason. I don't see why that should be the case for the batteries already purchased and in stock. Any new batteries purchased after the price increase makes sense, but doing it on something already in stock is just price gouging I think.

Same thing at the gas pump. Say the price per barrel goes from $100 to $120 per gallon yesterday. The gas that's at the station was already purchased at a (most likely) lower rate! It just bugs me how they immediately raise prices when the gas at that price won't make it to the pump for about a month! [:@]

Old 05-29-2008 | 04:18 PM
UncleDon
Banned

ORIGINAL: scottmichael

Batteries and oil and to a lesser extent tires all went through a dramatic price increase about 3 weeks ago. The dealer had about 24 hours notice of the increase. Batteries overnight went up roughly 40% and the dealer net went down. The price of raw materials are what's being blamed. Keep in mind, HD batteries haven't gone up in years. We're offering 50% off battery tenders with a new battery purchase, to at least somewhat lessen the blow.

When blaming the dealer keep in mind boys, it ain't all profit. Sure, you can probably find one cheaper at the dollar store. If that's what your bike deserves, go for it.
Scott.so what you are saying is, HD batteries are the best,,,,,,,,bullcaca!! Bikes deserve real good batteries, not just HD batteries. Any reputable auto store has a great battery for 75% less then the stealership........waste your money if you so chose

Old 05-29-2008 | 04:30 PM
higg47
Road Master

ORIGINAL: carpetride

squeeeel boy

"Paddle faster...I hear banjo music"

Old 05-29-2008 | 04:47 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

You didn't fair that bad, I've paid $115.45 back in Feb08 for the same battery!

Quick Reply: Dealer just charged me $162 for a new battery. WTF?