General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular VS full face Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:24 AM
DynaNorm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modular VS full face Question

I was hoping to get some feedback on helmets. I have always had cheap helmets. Lately my trips have been longer and the road noise and vibrations are getting to me.

Does a modular helmet vibrate or have more road noise than a full face helmet?

Do you see a difference when you buy a cheap on VS an expensive one?

Thanks,
Norm - nvrl8@yahoo.com

Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Modular VS full face Question

ORIGINAL: DynaNorm

I was hoping to get some feedback on helmets. I have always had cheap helmets. Lately my trips have been longer and the road noise and vibrations are getting to me.

Does a modular helmet vibrate or have more road noise than a full face helmet?

Do you see a difference when you buy a cheap on VS an expensive one?

Thanks,
Norm - nvrl8@yahoo.com
I have a Fulmer Modus Modular helmet and it's great as far as full face helmets go. No rattling or vibrating. I still rarely wear it because I don't care for full face helmets.

As far as cheap vs. expensive, it depends. If you are talking about a non-HD brand vs. an identical style with HD's name and logo on it, then you are probably just paying more for the name. If you are talking a $50 helmet vs. a $150 one of similar style but obvious differences in quality and not just paying for a name, then yes, you are probably going to get what you pay for. My 2 cents...

Old 05-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Zed
6th Gear

I used to have a modular - a Schuberth Concept. I liked it, it was comfortable and had an integrated flip-down tinted sun visor which was a very nice feature. But modulars are bulkier, heavier, and noisier than a regular full face. I've since switched to a conventional Schoei RF-1000 full face and I don't think I'll ever wear any other helmet again.

My wife went the same way. She had a Nolan flip and also changed to an RF-1000 for the same reasons.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 449 Likes on 265 Posts

I have all three; a half-helmet (DOT), a 3/4 I've worn for a few years with sunglasses and just got a Nolan full face with the flip up front and a flip down visor shade. Like 'em all, but I'm using the Nolan more and more as I get used to it...vision is excellent, it's quieter and certainly more comfortable especially on cooler days (I live in northern Canada) The HD full face helmet wasn't of the same quality as the Nolan, for sure...the Nolan also cost more; but as a sport-touring buddy likes to tell people "You don't want to spend more on a helmet than the contents are worth"

Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 PM
marthared
Cruiser

Check out the new version of the HJC Symax modular helmet. I got one a couple of months ago and love it! It's got an internal flip down sun visor. Neat!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 PM
cray49a
Road Master

I have a skid lid and a Shoei full face. I've trid to use the full face (wifey's preference) but I get a weird buzzing sound, it irritates my forehead,and it sails in the wind (cut windscreen). I prefer the Skid Lid. My OL wears a shield face but she wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Oh, I had another Shoei for about 20 years - full face. I gave it away.

WHAT'S IN YOUR HELMET?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:00 PM
jb4me
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a modular helmet I find it to perfom well it does have a little more noise but the convience of being able to flip it up for a drink etc.. is well worth it you should check out the dot they did a study of the differences between full and modular its pretty cool.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For highway and long distance riding I use a Shoei XR1000 with a dark tinted visor (I have a clear one for night riding). I love it as its light, has good visibility and is very well ventilated. The visors also come with anti fog posts for inserts when its cooler.

For town riding and just cruisin I use a Arai Freeway.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:28 PM
88b
Tourer

I've got a Cabeerg modular and it's very noisey, just about eveyone I've spoken to with a flip front complains about the noise

Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 222 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/m_3440379/m...tm.htm#3441021

Quick Reply: Modular VS full face Question