General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular VS full face Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:00 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Modular VS full face Question

The wife and I have a set of Vega modulars. Had 'em for about 3 years now - no complaints. Modulars are heavier than traditonal full face but being able to flip up the front at stop lights or when fueling is a definite bonus. The Vegas have a really nice venting system as well to allow airflow over your face when the vents are open as well as vents in the top to allow air circulation around the scalp. They make life a lot easier with glasses as well...

Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM
2wheelsGood
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Shoei full face RF-somethingOrOther as well as Nolan modular and Shoei multitec modular.

the Full Face is the quietest.

the Nolan is the noisiest (but also the cheapest).

the Nolan was fine until the visor detents started to wear out (after only a year or so of use !). When that happens, the faceshield will no longer stay up when subjected to anything stronger than the mildest breeze. Very bad.

I ante-d up the extra bucks to get the Shoei Multitect modular which is has a far better visor detent system. Being quieter than the Nolan was an extra plus. Happy all the way around !

Old 05-29-2008, 03:19 PM
jcthorne
5th Gear

Does anyone make a decent modular that is Snell rated yet? When I was looking late last year there were none yet that met requirements or passed the testing.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: jcthorne

Does anyone make a decent modular that is Snell rated yet? When I was looking late last year there were none yet that met requirements or passed the testing.
If you haven't read this article it basically says the Snell rating isn't what it's cracked up to be. No pun intended.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html

Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Roof boxer modular and have been pretty happy with it. Modulars are a compromise to be sure, check out the reviews on here and on the other motorcycle websites. The reason that there are so many different kinds is no two helmets will satisfy everyone.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:17 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

I have the HJC Symax2 and formerly had the Symax (1). They are very functional but a bit noisy at speed. Earplugs help. HJC makes Harley Davidson branded helmets.

Full face is quieter (and better) and other than with a group I'll choose that for a road trip.

A half helmet or 3/4 is fine for cruising around at low speeds and hot weather but it doesn't take much more than a veyr slow get get off for the ebenfits of more coverage to kick in. Snell rating, as some say, transfers more force to your head and a "mere" DOT rating is not necessarily a bad thing. As for Shoei, Nolan, HJS and others too me the fit for my head is far more important than any quality issues be they real or perceived.

I choose to wear a helmet and feel as though the government should let the rider decide!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:04 AM
LookMaNoHands
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DynaNorm

I was hoping to get some feedback on helmets. I have always had cheap helmets. Lately my trips have been longer and the road noise and vibrations are getting to me.

Does a modular helmet vibrate or have more road noise than a full face helmet?

Do you see a difference when you buy a cheap on VS an expensive one?

Thanks,
Norm - nvrl8@yahoo.com
I've tried both, can't handle the FF and can tolerate the modular when it's below 35 degrees. As far as the road noise, have you tried a good pair of earplugs?

Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought if I ever went to a full face, a modular would be the way to go. I didn't realize they were heavier, had more wind noise and were not as safe as a standard full face. Yes, it seemed like a good idea to be able to lift the face up and get a drink or whatever.

But I'm one to take my helmet off every chance I get, and that's a half helmet at present. So drinking would be no problem. The face shields on the full faces lift up so you can talk or cool off.

My wife just got an HJC cl-sp full face and she loves it. It doesn't look half bad on hereven on her Deluxe. I was successful in talking her out of PINK. She has good side vision and the venting cools pretty good. I've seen some full faces where your mouth is way down in the chin guard area and when you talk it's all muffled. Her's isn't like that.

So I'm definitely leaning away from the modular in favor of a full faced. IF I get one. I'm still a bit concerned about the claustrophobic effect of having a bucket over my face. Just afraid it's going to take away from myenjoyment of riding. But maybe I can get used to it.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 AM
sweetpeaches
Novice

you can!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 AM
CW4_131A
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DynaNorm - a few years ago I bought a Carberg modular helmet. Here's the link to a bikeworld review...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...rg-justissimo/

My reasons for buying the helmet are simple.
1. This brain bucket meets European safety standards which are far more stringent than Snell or DOT.
2. The sunvisor is inside the clear shield.
3. The chin piece grips the helmet with metal to metal contacts.
4. The chin piece is removable for a three-quarter helmet
5. Did I mention it meets the European standards for helmet impact tests?
6. Like a fine woman, it looks good on the outside and performs well on the inside.

Now for the bad news. Carberg has had trouble finding and retaining a US distributor. At the moment I don't believe there is a US distributor. I believe the value of the dollar to the Euro is forcing some European products out of the us marketplace. That aside, the webbikeworld review link provided above should give you an idea of what to look for when evaluating a mod helmet.

Parting thought, buy the best helmet you can and hope its a life long investment.