General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the Deal with HD and Skulls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:32 AM
GentlemanBiker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Whats the Deal with HD and Skulls?

Skulls have been a biker thing long before the Willie G. collection. I'd attribute it to two things: first, it's sort of whistling past the graveyard. We're reminded constantly by the non-riding people around us how dangerous riding is. Well...a skull turns that around and says, "So?" The other thing is that skulls are a bit sinister and bikers like sinister. Some really are sinister, most aren't...but they don't mind projecting a bit of it. Let's say you're a petty thief eyeing a roll bag on the back of someone's bike. Would you be more or less inclined to grab it if instead of skulls it was adorned with unicorns and butterflies? Along those same lines, I'm thinking of getting an attitude stick with a friggin' iron cross on it just to get cagers to think twice before they tailgate. I don't want them thinking I'm a middle-class guy in middle management...I want them thinking I'm a damn sociopath who is out on a technicality and will chase them down if they don't give me some space. My point is that I think some of the whole biker thing comes down to survival instinct.

The aftermarket is full of skulls, so naturally H-D has carefully done their market research and figured out they can sell the things. H-D's look better to my eye than most, and a big part of that is the script around them. It has sort of a late 60s Bay Area vibe.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maximum respect to others and their opinions - however I have to say the more cynical side of me says its a great marketing ploy of behalf of HD so thatall those born again bikers and RUBs can look bad **** mean with minimal effort off the shelf.
Something tells methat "born again" bikers aren't the target market for skulls, but hey, whatever works for your cynical side...

Old 05-28-2008, 07:16 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jakeiniraq

I have to say that I think HD did a great job with the skull/flame paint on my bike. I couldn't be happier.
OMG it's the chariot of the Grim Reaper himself!!!!!! LOL

Just my opinion, but a few skulls, flames, or whatever here or there is fine and all part of the enjoyment if any of that is your thing. It's when it gets overdone that it gets sort of ridiculous for me. Like when every part you bolt on or replace has to have a skull or a flame or a "old no. 7" on it - the grips, the derby cover, the timing cover, the gas cap, the axle covers, the bolt covers, etc., etc., etc. As with most things in life, moderation is the key.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dawg Rider

Something tells methat "born again" bikers aren't the target market for skulls, but hey, whatever works for your cynical side...
Having given your comments due consideration I have to agree that on balance you may well be right!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Funny you mention space. Whne I wear all my protective equipment that the Military requires me to wear people have no problem tailgating me or cutting me off. But when I wear my leathers and my barely DOT helmet with FU stuckers all over it they keep their distance. You might be on to something that they think a clean cut military dude will not go psycho on them...

Old 05-28-2008, 09:22 AM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Airborne350G

Funny you mention space. Whne I wear all my protective equipment that the Military requires me to wear people have no problem tailgating me or cutting me off. But when I wear my leathers and my barely DOT helmet with FU stuckers all over it they keep their distance. You might be on to something that they think a clean cut military dude will not go psycho on them...

damnit man, don't they realize you are trained to kill, and usually carry weapons
The only thing worse could be a postal uniform
Seriously, that sounds pretty strange, so much for trying to 'look' safe with the bright colors, vest, etc...

Old 05-28-2008, 09:25 AM
meanbite
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It isn't just a HD thing. Sport bikers do it too. Hell, skateboarders have skull tattoos as do lots of pro athletes that don't ride. It just seems to be a globally accepted image. I always dug skulls. Can't really tell you why, I just like them.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:57 AM
dav.elis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the girl in your image... ;-)

Old 05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,862 Likes on 13,480 Posts

It all started when a guy bought a bike and became obsessed with it and spent all his time riding and working on it and talking about it and forgot all about eating and eventually ended up being a skeleton and OK you finish the story lol.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:48 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My theory...it's so the less than hardcore newbie can feel just a little bad *** too.

Quick Reply: Whats the Deal with HD and Skulls?