General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interesting air cleaner cover pic

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008 | 03:23 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: air cleaner cover

If you were riding behind me, I'd have my teddy bear flip you off.

Old 05-28-2008 | 05:21 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: pkellymc

OK, you asked.
I can't get my brain wrapped around any attempt (no matter how "creative") to be willfully, overtly, shamelessly offensive. The idea of using what should be to each of us, a source of immense pride, satisfaction, accomplishment, and a means of expressing our individuality (our bikes), as a rolling billboard for a coarse vulgarity is to seek a new "low" in how one wants the world to perceive our property, our sport, and our very character. So many facets of our daily existence (our dress, speech, walk, manners, grooming, etc.) tell those within each of our worlds what we think of ourselves, and many of them carry over into expressing what we think of others, as well.
With as much rudeness and outright hatred in this world, why would anyone want to hitch their wagon to any expression that only promotes more of the same? Have any of us here been so hurt, misused and abused by life that we can justifiably give everyone with two eyes to cast in admiration upon our rolling treasure, the ol' "F-O"? I'd venture that most everyone reading this is blessed in this life beyond the belief of most of the rest of the world. While our lives may not be Heaven, to the rest of the world, we must appear to live in a neighboring ZIP Code. We have nice homes, families, good jobs (good enough to afford such an icon of prosperity as a Harley). We are all so far from the dismal and the morose, that we have no good reason to broadcast such misanthropic sentiment to anyone who would simply cast an approving eye toward our bikes. I see it as akin to smiling and wishing someone "Good Morning!", only to receive a curt "Up yours!" in return. Why the hate?
So what's behind such sentiment, then? I'm no psych major, and any explanation I might offer would likely be saying more about me than it would anything else. Maybe that's the point; what are we wanting to say about ourselves when we grace our rides with paint, chrome, symbols or graphics? Do we really want to say, "I detest you all", "You're pond-scum", "F-O and Die!!"??? The average person/viewer deserves better. Shouldn't we rather be saying, "I like my life", "I'm proud of my Harley", or simply "I'm blessed"? From a strictly practical standpoint, vitriol begets vitriol. Haven't we all rolled along behind a car with a "Hillary '08" (or "W '04") bumper sticker, and secretly wanted to see the offensive sticker and the BMW sporting it caved in by a semi? If a political message can evoke our darker side, how much more so does a visceral insult by an impersonal, inanimate object? I can see where the undeserving recipient of such a message might be tempted to respond with sharp keys, eggs, rocks or Krylon.
We've always got our two arms and hands to send the message, real-time, to some deserving cager. Such an insult should be reserved for special curcumstances, not our every-day message to the world. I've spoken my peace. Like so many say, it's just my opinion. But, I am recognized as the world's leading authority on my opinion. I know, your reply is best stated by your air cleaner cover. Look inside and see if that's really what you want to tell the world about yourself. If so, then I feel sorry for you; I know you're better than that.

Speaking of not being a psych major, what on earth would make you think the gesture (jesture?) was meant for you? What's that say about you? If I saw that, I would never assume it was meant for me personally, or anyone one else in particular. Give the guy a break, it's an attitude thing -- maybe not very PC, but then I don't know anyone on a harley that is! For some just ridin' a harley is attitude enough, others like a little more spice in their life!

And you're gonna tell me you've never been flipped off by a cager who didn't happen to share our love of motorcycles? Not once? Must be runnin' stock pipes and hanging back in the

Old 05-28-2008 | 05:52 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
From: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

Lucky - Funny!
Celtic - I was expecting a few of those; congrats on being the first!
Twisted - I laughed out loud! Really!! I've been called "A-R" before.
All - Keep 'em coming.

Old 05-28-2008 | 06:08 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master
Default RE: interesting air cleaner cover pic

Hmmmm, The Johnny Cash would've been cool too. Your bike. You like it. Thats your business.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35398/257FBDA0996D4BAD85DE907A4728F17F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-28-2008 | 06:17 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

I think it came out great!!!!!

I like Kid Rod "[sm=smarty.gif]

Old 05-28-2008 | 06:51 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned

OK, you asked.
I can't get my brain wrapped around any attempt (no matter how "creative")to be willfully, overtly, shamelessly offensive. The idea of using what should be to each of us,a source of immense pride, satisfaction, accomplishment, and ameans of expressing our individuality (our bikes), as a rolling billboard for a coarse vulgarity is to seek a new "low" in how one wants the world toperceive our property, our sport, and our very character.So many facets of our daily existence (our dress, speech, walk, manners, grooming, etc.) tell those within each of our worlds what we think of ourselves, and manyof them carry over into expressing what we think of others, as well.
With as much rudeness and outright hatred in this world, why would anyone want to hitch their wagon to any expression that only promotes more of the same? Have any of us herebeen so hurt,misused and abused by life that we can justifiably give everyone with two eyes to castin admiration upon our rolling treasure, the ol' "F-O"? I'd venture that most everyone reading this is blessed in this life beyondthe belief of most of the rest of the world. While our lives may not be Heaven, to the rest of the world, we must appear tolive in a neighboring ZIP Code. We have nice homes, families, good jobs (good enough to afford such an icon of prosperity as a Harley).We are all so far from thedismal and the morose, that we have no good reason to broadcastsuch misanthropic sentimentto anyone who would simplycastan approvingeye toward our bikes. I see it as akin to smiling and wishing someone "Good Morning!", only to receive a curt "Up yours!" in return.Why the hate?
So what's behind such sentiment, then? I'm no psych major, and any explanation I might offer would likely be saying more about me than it would anything else. Maybe that's the point; what are we wanting to say about ourselves when we grace our rides with paint, chrome, symbols or graphics? Do we really want to say, "Idetest you all", "You're pond-scum","F-O and Die!!"??? The averageperson/viewer deserves better.Shouldn't we rather be saying, "I like my life", "I'm proud of my Harley", or simply "I'm blessed"?From a strictly practical standpoint, vitriol begets vitriol. Haven't we all rolled along behind a car with a "Hillary '08" (or "W '04") bumper sticker, and secretly wanted to see the offensive stickerand theBMWsporting it caved in by a semi? If a political message can evoke our darker side, how much more so does avisceral insult by an impersonal, inanimate object? I can see where the undeserving recipient of such a message might be tempted to respond with sharp keys, eggs, rocks or Krylon.
We've always got our two arms and hands to send the message, real-time,to some deserving cager.Such an insult should be reserved for special curcumstances, not our every-day message to the world. I've spoken my peace. Like so many say, it's just my opinion. But, I am recognized asthe world's leading authority on my opinion. I know, your reply is best stated by your air cleaner cover. Look inside and see if that's really what youwant to tell the world about yourself. If so, then I feel sorry for you; I know you're better than that.
You need to pull the stick out of you rear. Blessed? Blessed by who? I'm not blessed by anybody. Everything I have, I have because I've busted my butt. Problem with you, and people like you is that everything you own is a prop. Something you use to show off. Your the guy who buys and rides a Harley to the local HOG rally in your new leathers and doo rag on Saturday, then your off to the BMW owners get together on Sunday. You'll ride your Harley until the new fad comes along, then it's on to speed boats o

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:07 PM
TymToPla
Advanced

What Gaffy said,what Higlet said,what Twisted said!

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:07 PM
buldog21
Cruiser

This is an opinion thread about the "air cleaner cover pic."

But, those of you that can't handle an opinion that someone has expressed is amazing to me.

I know that some here will say "yeah, but pkellymc went overboard," - but that was his response to the question. Geez, it's funny how those that got bent out of shape over his repsonse are to me the uptight ones. Bring it on if you feel the need.

You see, even I went off topic. Gawd.

Some like the pic and some don't.

Not my style, so I don't.

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:09 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Sophomoric? I think your thinking to late in life. More like kindergarten.
ORIGINAL: JDRay

I was in the military (during Bush I) when there were big scandals around flag burning. Long before the Supreme Court, in their infinite wisdom, upheld a protester's right to burn a flag, a saying cropped up among us:

"I wear this uniform to defend your right to burn that flag in protest of me and what I do."

The unspoken corollary to that was, "If I had my way, I'd kick you in the nuts right here and now." (or something similar)

I don't wear the uniform anymore, but I still remember that sentiment like that is a lot of what "America" is about. Want to tell the world to fck off? Go ahead. I don't like it, I think it's at best sophomoric, but I'll stand behind your right to say it.

Some things run deep.

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:12 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member

The idea of using what should be to each of us,a source of immense pride, satisfaction, accomplishment, and ameans of expressing our individuality (our bikes), as a rolling billboard for a coarse vulgarity is to seek a new "low" in how one wants the world toperceive our property, our sport, and our very character.So many facets of our daily existence (our dress, speech, walk, manners, grooming, etc.) tell those within each of our worlds what we think of ourselves, and manyof them carry over into expressing what we think of others, as well.
You say it yourself, it's expressing our own individuality. The type of person you are is exactly whats wrong with this country. You're the type of person that helps make it so kids can't say the pledge of allegiance in school because it says "under god" and that might offend some little puke. Or the kid in class that makes it so 20 others can't have a halloween party cause some little turds parent doesn't want their kid celebrating a pagan holiday.

Freakin Idiot.

Quick Reply: interesting air cleaner cover pic