General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley reliability vs Honda rant...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:42 PM
celltech
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley reliability vs Honda rant...

ORIGINAL: RAWHIDE07

I'm not doubting or bashing anyone but why is it you and not your brother who's posting this stuff?
I'm here now. I didn't post because i'm busy working OT trying to pay for the $1100 repair bill!!! [&:]

Old 05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

ORIGINAL: mnvikingsfan

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

So if you hate the HD and the Honda is soooooo much beter, trade yours for an old wing. I don't care if it isn't as technologically good nor as reliable I am not riding rice. Course if you have no problems with yours, his just possibly might be a lemon. It happens, even in hondas I'm sure. Bottom line, it's your bike and your choice, ride what you want to but painting all Harleys with the crap brush is ..well just crap. Mine has 144k miles and I haven't spent nearly what he has other than maintenance since 1995.

Your money, your choice.... then next move is yours. I'm betting you'll be ridng one of those heartless plastic wonders before years end.

Bubba
What I said Bubba, was I have a hard time believing the HD is as reliable as the Honda from what I have witnessed. I never said "I want to sell my HD". I was simply pointing out the issues that my brother has experienced with his. I'm also curious to hear what other folks have to say as well about it.

Right now, I have no intentions of selling my HD just because my brother is having some isssues with his. For you guys telling me "due us a favor or do yourself a favor and get the Goldwing" you sound like little girls. I have as much desire to sell my HD as I do to lose more hairor gain more weight....no thanks. Just pointing out some facts that I have witnessed first hand...
I'm not the one on here crying about how HD is crap. I believe you opened that can of worms. Just put your big girl panties on and soldier on or trade for the ricer. You know you really want to. You'd look good riding one going to "Honda Hoots". With all the money you'd save on not having to do maintenance (yeah right) you could order GPS or a latte machine or whatever else the Honda crowd puts on their bikes. And pointing out the facts as you say, the preponderence of folks on here haven't had problems as you describe. Statistically, I would say you are in the minority as far as problems.

Your buddy bought a bike that was used and remember the word abused includes used.Who knows who did what to it. Have you not ever bought a used car and had problems with it? I'll bet lots of folks here have too. Maybe that's more the issue than HD qulaity such as it is

I'm going riding

Bubba
Hey Bubba, when was I crying??Did I ever use the term "crap"? No, I did not.Apparently Bubba cannot read. I guess that 6th grade education of your didn't teach you anything did it. READ THE POST. First off, it's not my buddy, you rocket scientist you. It's my brother. I in no way bashed or ripped HD, I just simply questioned whether or not they are AS reliable as some of the other brands out there-in example a Honda since both my brother and I have ridden them for years up to the HD purchase with no issues. I'd have the same question vice versa if it was the other way around as well.

As for the "I could buy a latte machine or GPS" comment, I'm guessing you offended some of the HD Forums with that comment as I see quite a few posts about GPS on here periodically. I'm also guessing there are some latte machines as well. Get a clue buddy...

Let me help Bubba feel better. The HD is a far superior, much more reliable, and just unbelievably dominant motorcycle compared to anything else out there. It NEVER breaks down, the service at all HD Shops is impeccable, and the quality is just unmatched by anyone. Throw in the fact that they HOLD their value this makes ownin an HD a "no-brainer"....get my drift Bubba the Love Sponge??

Happy Riding!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:07 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

No one likes having problems with their ride, most come from the aftermarket mods that are done. This situation is much more prevalent as technology is forced down our throats via the EPA. Come on, 02 sensors, cats etc now on these bikes, computers with specific programming to meet EPA/CARB crap! I see issues all the time with these diesel truck owners, literally destroying $18K motors with aftermarket parts. All I'm saying is, once you depart from stock, expect to have issues. I also have a saying, you got to pay to play! And it costs! There are some things I don't buy pre owned, Motorcycles, boats and cars! There are reasons these are for sale.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:15 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master

Man, I hate to hear that your brother had so many problems with his HD. Sounds like he bought it with some problems to begin with. As far as spokes and the like, there is some checking you should do routinely anyway. I do. Just to make sure everything is o.k. I hope your brother will get what he wants so you can hit the road again. **** happends though.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:16 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sharkeydude

Man, I hate to hear that your brother had so many problems with his HD. Sounds like he bought it with some problems to begin with. As far as spokes and the like, there is some checking you should do routinely anyway. I do. Just to make sure everything is o.k. I hope your brother will get what he wants so you can hit the road again. **** happends though.
Thanks Sharkeydude. Always sucks more when you have nice ride planned in perfect weather, and have to cancel due to crap like this...

Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 PM
sbdynafan
Tourer

ORIGINAL: celltech

ORIGINAL: RAWHIDE07

I'm not doubting or bashing anyone but why is it you and not your brother who's posting this stuff?
I'm here now. I didn't post because i'm busy working OT trying to pay for the $1100 repair bill!!! [&:]
hum... I smell antagonism... Trolling is punishable by death!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sharkeydude

Thanks Sharkeydude. Always sucks more when you have nice ride planned in perfect weather, and have to cancel due to crap like this...
I hear ya! My brother-in-law laid his down on Friday, (back brake locked and he let off of it...you know what happended next...el flippola) got put in ICU and broke nearly all of his ribs and his collar bone. We had a ride planned through Texas for the week of July 4th; my parents live there so I am taking the OL and the bike, but now, I guess I'm solo. My sister is insisting I still bring the bike so she can ride with me some since she won't get to because of her OM's wreck.

There will be other perfect days.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:31 PM
celltech
Cruiser

How am a troll sbdynafan?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:14 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: *NIGHT TRAIN*

And no, I'm not a freaking TROLL!!!!

Of COURSE, you are....[sm=violin.gif]
No he's not.

When you come onto an H-D forum and post antagonistic remarks running down Harley's and stating that a Honda is a superior machine, you'refishin' for reactions...you or your troll brother should expect that you'll get your *** torn...comes with the territory...

Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

Makes one wonder what responces youexpected.....50 peopleto post back andsay, yea.....We too wish we had bought Honda's, our bikessuck and are expensive too, break all the time. We alljust agree, Honda makes a better bike more reliable, and wonderful scoot..... Is that what you really expected here?

For the record I have had 3 Harleys. 1977, 2005, 2008.....All three in their own right were bullet proof. Yea, I know not what you wanted to hear......................

I am done with this one.....As I said earlierbetter luck in another forum....You might hear what you both want to hear.

ORIGINAL: Donnylee

"That said, no one can tell me with any sense of honesty, that HD's are anywhere close to the Jap bikes as far as reliability goes....I'm just not gonna buy it."

Blah blahhh blah....... Tell you brother he has POS! He deserves a Honda.What a pointless thread.... Come into a Harley forum andwonder if we are going to cry your brother ariver because he broke something in the tranny, and his spokes are loose, oh and he alsoneeds a service......My best advicego to the HondaForum and post the same thread you will get all thethe ball licking you desire. But not here...... Last time I looked Honda's use spokes, Tranny work on Honda's only requires you split the cases, and hopeHonda still make the parts..... They change engine designs about every six Months..... Yah, get yourself a pair of them Honda's.......

It's not a POS, it is a very nice bike and I worked my *** off to pay for it. That said if it has any more issues I think it will be down the road.

Quick Reply: Harley reliability vs Honda rant...