General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley reliability vs Honda rant...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:08 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley reliability vs Honda rant...

ORIGINAL: mnvikingsfan

ORIGINAL: hardhead

My buddy's 06 vtx 1300 has had his clutch lever fall off and speedoworks-sometimes. Other than that it's a great bike. Also he's put about $6,000 in upgrades to get it to the level of my heritage when it was stock. Still thats nothing compared to your brothers troubles. I wouldn't blame him for going back to jap bikes. Hell, originally I wanted a vtx1800. My question is why were none of his issues covered under the 2 year warranty?
It was not covered due to it was an '03 model. The warranty was expired unfortunately...[:@]
So you are complaining about problems on a bike that is at least 5 years old.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:09 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: streeteagle

ORIGINAL: Lopoetve

um.

his should be under warranty still. why arent' they replacing the tranny/other things under that?

this sounds fishy.
+1- A blown tranny should be covered, no question. What happens when a tranny blows anyway? Have never heard of a Harley trans failing, unless it was total abuse.
Well he did buy the bike used with 13K on it, it was probably about a month into it I believe when the tranny went. Like I said, since it was an '03, and this happened in '06 HD does not have to warranty that unfortuntely for him...

Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: atomic

ORIGINAL: hardhead

My buddy's 06 vtx 1300 has had his clutch lever fall off and speedoworks-sometimes. Other than that it's a great bike. Also he's put about $6,000 in upgrades to get it to the level of my heritage when it was stock. Still thats nothing compared to your brothers troubles. I wouldn't blame him for going back to jap bikes. Hell, originally I wanted a vtx1800. My question is why were none of his issues covered under the 2 year warranty?
It was not covered due to it was an '03 model. The warranty was expired unfortunately...[:@]
So you are complaining about problems on a bike that is at least 5 years old.
Dude, all I am saying is after beating the $hit out of Honda's and other makes foryears, the HD seems to have some reliabiltiy issues from what I have seen. Maybe he got a lemon, maybe the guy before him beat the $hit out of the bike for all we know, but from what I have seen and again, I'm comparing apples to oranges here, the fact of the matter is his HD is giving him issues about every 6 months....that's it. He hopes this is the end of it as I do as well....

Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: streeteagle

ORIGINAL: Lopoetve

um.

his should be under warranty still. why arent' they replacing the tranny/other things under that?

this sounds fishy.
+1- A blown tranny should be covered, no question. What happens when a tranny blows anyway? Have never heard of a Harley trans failing, unless it was total abuse.
Well he did buy the bike used with 13K on it, it was probably about a month into it I believe when the tranny went. Like I said, since it was an '03, and this happened in '06 HD does not have to warranty that unfortuntely for him...
So he bought a 3 year old bike with 13000 miles on it. Perhaps the previous owner abused the bike. Buying a used bike is gambling. That is why I always by new. At least if its screwed up they have to pay to fix it.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 PM
hardhead
Tourer

i wonder if the previous owner ever used the clutch.......

Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the problem with buying a used bike unless you know the previous owner quite well. Your bud my have bought someone else's lemon or that previous 13000 miles may have been very hard run mileage. I've bought a used car or two in my time, but I refuse to buy someone else's bike unless I've known them and their riding habits from the day they bought the machine. That's just me.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior

[sm=lockeddance.gif]

Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And no, I'm not a freaking TROLL!!!!

Of COURSE, you are....[sm=violin.gif]

Old 05-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Kind of comical to come on here an bash harley's because of your brothers serious problems. And then tell the rest of the story. Used bike. My Honda Shadow was a good bike mechanically. Are they all? No. The Wing is a good bike mechanically. Are they all? No. Have there been Hondas that were lemons. Yes. Tell us about those since you seem to be a Honda expert.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:26 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,955 Likes on 13,498 Posts

I'm not doubting or bashing anyone but why is it you and not your brother who's posting this stuff?

Quick Reply: Harley reliability vs Honda rant...