General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer alerts / whistles

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:14 PM
PCW
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deer alerts / whistles

Gimmick. They don't need that to know you're coming.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Skitzer
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm from Maine ...... lots of deer up here, (more than we need to be honest), ...... those alerts/whistles DO NOT work.
Rely on your senses, keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You and me both.

ORIGINAL: roadkingrick

i'm thinking about making my bike hunter orange and puting areplica shotgun on it.. because whenever i have those 2 things i never see a deer.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 PM
dpmccan
Cruiser

Yrs ago the MN State Troopers gave them a try. I forget the stats, but I remember at least one or more still hit a deer, and most of them were plugged up with bugs.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Kodster
Cruiser

I put a set on my aunt's mini van a few years ago, she hit a deer on her way home, don't think they work so good.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:57 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Years back Halliburton (when it was still just an oil field service company) was averaging 75 truck/deer accidents a year in East Texas and the following year they installed deer whistles on all their trucks and they averaged 2 truck/deer accidents per year after that. Most articles I have read about these say they do not work, but I have also read other examples of them reducing the number of accidents. My opinion is that they most likely do some good, but not to the point you should ride like there is no chance of hitting a deer. For a couple bucks (no pun intended), if it saved your butt one time it would be worth the price many times over.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:03 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't know about deer whistles, but i have an elephant whistle on mine. works great, haven't hit nor seen any elephants on any of my rides.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: gman

don't know about deer whistles, but i have an elephant whistle on mine. works great, haven't hit nor seen any elephants on any of my rides.

Gman, Psst, me thinks you are bullshippng us. You must've hit at least one, the trunk is still stuck to your scoot, buddy.

No place to mount deer whistles on the chop, so I just hum real loud.(can't whistle for chit with the wind in my face) Humming doesn't work real well, but then IMFUO, neither do deer whistles.
Just tuck in behind a semi and roll along. Just make sure he/she knows you are back there, and be ready for the blood splatter when he/she connects with 'Bambi'.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,471 Likes on 4,373 Posts

Sound travels at 600mph or so. You ain't gonna outrun the sound a whistle or anything makes! That said... some smart guy observed that the deer whistles seemed to work somewhat the first year they were used in parts of the country where they were new. Then the freekin deer got used to them.
ORIGINAL: dv102

Their a gimmick. Think about how a whistle works air blows in is compressed down and blows out the other side so if they were to deterr a deer it would be one behind you that you already went by. Get a guardian bell everyone knows they work.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:15 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think they work. I think they sell but I don't think they work. Carry a loaded rifle---that always makes them a little harder to locate in my experience.

Quick Reply: Deer alerts / whistles