General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wet ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:14 AM
no regrets
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wet ride

500 mile ride in the rain, started out with a30 percent chance of rain and high 60's, ended up 100 percent chance of rain and upper 40's. I saw so many bikes out today it was great. At the turn around point it was 80 degrees started home and the rain began againgot cold but I would do it all over again just to ride. Who rides in the rain and who just calls it a day and gets a room. I would have but the wife has to work in the morning had to keep moving.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:20 AM
wideglidemike
Cruiser
Default RE: wet ride

Not me bruthu'....If there's one dark cloud in the sky, my bike's in the garage. Don't like to have to stop fast when a dummass cager does something stupid in front of me. But, hey that's just me.... Whatever floats your boat.

[IMG]local://upfiles/56212/E6A4BEDF2D1F4A41BE865302F8B4A53F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-27-2008, 12:31 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont like to ride in rain but have made my fair share of rainy rides, and will continue to get caught in the rain once ina while. Not long ago I made a night ride in a torrential downpour all the way from New Orleans LA to Corpus Christi TX. The rain was so bad that I couldnt run much over 35mph and it was so dark and hard to see that I had to strain to see the next dotted line on the hwy just so I could tell that I was still on the road. Not an experience I want to repeat any time soon, but I had a good friend die and I needed to make the funeral, and the bike was the only transportation at the time.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Rode to Hollister with a friend with the skies sort of threatening. Went anyway. Got to Paso Robles from San Diego without too much moisture. Next day rode into Hollister with a little mist here and there. Buddy got his seat from Corbin and we started back. Then the rain began. Stopped at the Harley Dealer in Hollister and my friend bought chaps for himself and his wife. Didn't have any in my size so I just rode wet. Got to Atascadero, Gary Bang Harley had my size and a great merchandise girl that was very helpful and knowledgable. With the windhsield, leather jacket and chaps it was a comfortable ride. Stopped in Santa Barbara for the night and rode home the next day with a light rain most of the way. Got within about ten miles from home and the skies let loose. Freeway was down to about forty miles an hour and then stopped. Accident up ahead that we bypassed by getting off the freeway and re-entering at the next ramp. Good ride that taught me that I wouldn't melt in the rain.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Bluerose

If It happens and I have a schedule I ride most often. Extreme weather (e.g. heavy lightning/hail/even minor flooding...I wait it out).

The Desert is bad about flooding.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:57 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have ridden in the rain all the way from key west back to miami it sucked big time, I have gotten caught in the rain many times will ride till I feel is not dafe then find somewhere to park it..

Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i have rode in the rain a few times. if it downpours stop under a bridge then lighten up take off again.no bodys likes it but you just make the best of it. always take rain geari have met alot of great people and have had alot of fun.you got to look at it as part of the ride.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:05 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

was riding down south years ago - near louisville it started raining and foggin - couldn't see nothing - on the xpressway - finally followed a car off an exit and then got a hotel - was planning on stopping anyway

did another one out near rockford - only way i could see the road was to follow a car and then keep the white line on the outside of the rode between my mirror and handlebar

road out to sturgis last year and got caught in a torrential downpour - kept going until the rain came down so hard i couldn't see and the wind picked up - stopped at a burger shop and had lunch - good thing too - trees were being blown horizontal - after lunch it cleared some so i kept going

last oct went clockwise around lake michigan from chicago - 4 days - left thu morn - thu and fri and most of saturday - rain - if not raining then overcast - sunday was nice

i won't just go for a ride around home if it is raining - but rain doesn't stop me from going on a planned trip - bad storms will stop me

boots are waterproof - have leather overpants that are waterproof and a rainjacket with helmet happy hood - waterproof gloves
i can get off the bike and take off my water protection stuff and be dry underneath
have a windshield and full face so sometimes the rain does make it difficult - i keep a shammy thing to wipe off my face shield
rain and dark can be tricky
i pay real close attention to detail when riding in the rain - avoid puddles - stay away from cars
wind bothers me much more than rain

Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM
07deluxe
Road Captain

[sm=biker2.gif]

I told myself I would never ride in the rain with my shiny, brand new bike, so happens the first week I get the bike, Aug. 2006; the wife and I decide to ride two up to Vegas from my former home town in Corona CA, about a 300+ mile ride; guess what? On the way back home we get stuck in the middle of the desert in a huge hail storm, had no choice but to ride it thru. Since then its been no problems riding in the rain. I do try to avoid riding in the rain, I bought my scootto ride, she's aint no mantle piece!.Now ask me about night riding and I will say forget it..... I cant see squat at night.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

I am a rain magnet. Almost all of my road trips involve rain.Sometimes it's a light sprinkle;other times I have to ride a few hundred miles in the wet to get home.

Quick Reply: wet ride