General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

washing your bike at car wash

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008 | 05:40 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Default RE: washing your bike at car wash

ORIGINAL: DMas

ORIGINAL: Gaffy52
Anyway what better way (apart from riding) to spend a bit of time on a nice daythan tarting up your scoot being interuptedonly by the wife bringing afew cans of the amber nector to quench the thirst!
Where can I get a wife like that?? I say "Bitch! Bring me a beer!" and nothing. Hmmmm, must not have heard me.

Oh and +1 on washing the bike at home bucket and hose always cooled down and NOT running. Did that yesterday she's lookin' good today!
There you go I see your problem - you are not asking right. You should be saying, "Oi wench, what the f**k am I giving you house room for, damn beer's empty - if you don't get it fixed right now there'll be no loving for you b*t*h tonight."

That should do I reckon - let me know how you get on! [sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 05-27-2008 | 05:43 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DMas

Anyway what better way (apart from riding) to spend a bit of time on a nice daythan tarting up your scoot being interuptedonly by the wife bringing afew cans of the amber nector to quench the thirst!
Where can I get a wife like that?? I say "Bitch! Bring me a beer!" and nothing. Hmmmm, must not have heard me.

Oh and +1 on washing the bike at home bucket and hose always cooled down and NOT running. Did that yesterday she's lookin' good today!
There you go I see your problem - you are not asking right. You should be saying, "Oi wench, what the f**k am I giving you house room for, damn beer's empty - if you don't get it fixed right now there'll be no loving for you b*t*h tonight."

That should do I reckon - let me know how you get on! [sm=jawdrop.gif]

You mean, after he wakes up?

Old 05-27-2008 | 05:44 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member

Not in you wildest dreams would I go near a carwash with the bike. I would not even use a sponge collects grit that could scratch paint chrome. A bucket, hosecar wash soap at home, and Blackhawk waterless bike spray will keep a bike looking showroom.

Old 05-27-2008 | 06:06 AM
francis
Cruiser

Have used car wash for years , lether down and a light spray of thin oil around forks and electrics , never had a prob, Treat it like a baby and it will act like one.

Carpe diem

Old 05-27-2008 | 07:15 AM
jeffbcn
Road Master

I use a coin car wash that is only a couple of blocks away. I try to ride it there right away so it is not too hot. I use the rinse to cool it down a bit first. The brush works good for the windshield, skins and mirrors. Soap spray for the rest and then a lot of final rinse. I never use the high pressure except on the tires and rims. Sometimes the front of the forks. I bring a small towel to dry off the seat, then ride it home and dry it with a leaf blower.

Old 05-27-2008 | 07:36 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser

Done it for years, common sense about where you're spraying will help avoid problems. I try to let it cool off if I've been out on a hot day, sit around for awhile near the car wash if necessary. Sure is a easy way to hose some of those bugs and road grime off the bike when you're not near the comfort of home.

Old 05-27-2008 | 08:15 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Manual says not to use spray car washes but if you're careful and use common sense it won't hurt anything. I wash mine at home with a garden hose.

Old 05-27-2008 | 10:28 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Apparently I don't 'baby' my Harley's as much as some, as I can't even imagine the number of times over the years I've used a car wash while on long distance rides to get rid of bugs, road grime, mud, etc...

Like others have said, just use common sense around some of the electrical components and don't blast them with high pressure.

Harley's are engineered to be in the rain, and I doubt if a car wash is going to do anymore damage than riding long distances at 70+ MPHduring heavy rain storms.

Old 05-27-2008 | 10:42 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior

Only when I am on a long trip. If I keep going home to wash it, I never get anywhere!

Old 05-27-2008 | 11:11 AM
dhoward
Banned

ORIGINAL: francis

Have used car wash for years , lether down and a light spray of thin oil around forks and electrics , never had a prob, Treat it like a baby and it will act like one.

Carpe diem
+1
Be pretty hard to spray enough water through the A/C to hydrolock the bike there, Chicken Little...

Quick Reply: washing your bike at car wash