General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossing the desert at 110 degrees...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:03 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Crossing the desert at 110 degrees...

Let me start with this tidbit; I'm a native Arizonan. I used to think wilderness survival, especially in the desert,was fun. There are some things you will need.
Fully vented full face helmet with a reflective visor. Trust me on this one, I know from experience they reduce dehydration and eliminate windburn and just plain cooking your face.
Mesh jacket. You really need the circulation and they hold the sweat keeping the jacket cooler. Mine is a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0.
Water. Sports drinks don't hurt hurt either, but you need water.
Don't spend more than an hour on the bike in temps over 100 without stopping for a drink, I don't mean a little sip either, 12oz or more, 32oz if you already feel thirsty. If you feel thirsty, you waited too long and are already on the way to dehydration. I've seen the temps in Phoenix and Vegas at over 110 at midnight.
As mentioned before, watch for road gators at night. Even you aren't over-rididng your head light, road gators are invisible at night.
Personally, I'd do the trip in daylight. That's just me. Other than road gators, there are some large living critters out ther also.
Most of all, day or night, enjoy the ride. A full moon ride in the desert can't be beat.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:12 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel ya! Lived in Ogden, UT for 5-years....The mercury hit 110 at 6% humidity whileriding up I-15 at 80-mph......felt like riding thru a blast furnace. The sweat would evaporate before getting tothe clothes!

Old 05-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, we are a get up @ 0 dark 30, and get thru it type.
The morning is the 'coolest' part of the day, and theland/ground has cooled as much as it is going to. But then, I don't have tons of miles in desert riding.
Sounds crazy, but heat exhaustion is one of the major problems bikers face crossing SoDak in Aug going to Sturgis. Drink LOTS of watta, Blue.Unlike the beer swillin' we used to do.
I really like the "Cool-danas". If they don't really work (which I think they do), at least a guy gets a psychological lift from them. When we were 'much' younger on the farm in SoDak, Mom used to wrap cool, wet towels around our necks when we were baling hay and combining small grain.Temps could easily hit 100+ and with humidity, will knock your d**k in the dirt, real fast.
Only REAL problem I see with your trip...........you forgot to invite the Gumpmeister to join.
Hope you have FUN, Blue.
Never knowed they had gaterz out dare by Vegas and Barstow.
But, watch out for those wiley rascals, nothin' worse than gettin' attacked by a giant hunk of rubba. [8D][8D]

Old 05-26-2008, 03:32 PM
landest
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 one on the road gators.

I've had one blow in front of me and it will definitely raise your pucker factor.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:49 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Gumby,

Didja ever see any Jackelopes out there in the desert?

The first timeI saw a jackrabbit in UT I thought I was hallucinating......It looked like God took a field rabbit, put kangaroo legs on it, expanded its body by 2X and stretched its ears by 3X! You shoulda heard the laughs from the locals when I explained what I saw.....

BTW, the only Jackelopes I ever saw were the singing ones hangin' from a wall!!!!! And I wasn't hallucinating either!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:07 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have any type of sinus problems, I highly suggest getting a saline nose spray and using it every time you stop for gas/breaks. I went to Vegas 2 weeks ago and had a lot of problems with my sinus once we reached the desert floor.

I used a wet bandana on my neck, but it dried quickly. A buddy had one with the beads inside. She soaked it in a glass full of ice water and she said it lasted for miles.

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/FC8F66C04DEF449C8E613CA55FD36DC5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-26-2008, 04:32 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

I would rent a truck and ride back in air conditioned comfort.

Two years ago I was comming back from the mountains and it was running 100 degrees on the interstate through Georgia.I was stopping every half hour for a wet down and that wasn't enough. Gave up around 2pm and got a room, jumped in the pool and waited till the cooler morning to ride home.

Everybody complains aboutthe humidity in Floridabut that dry hot air up there felt like a blast furnace. Cant imagine riding in 110 through the desert.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Bluerose

We are considering riding in from Cedar City, UT and stopping about 1/2 way to Victorville in Las Vegas where we can get a free room for the afternoon. Then roll out about 7 pm. we will stil haveabout an hour of sun and the temps will be heading down. (Might be 106 instead of 110 [&:])

Old 05-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Lucky Scott
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in So Cal and go to Vegas a lot to drag race. I would recommend the "get up at 3:00 am and ride with the sun coming up behind you" technique. Wont get that hot until about 11 or 12 and you will be out of the desert by then.
Also, A trick to help you not get dehydrated is to drink the fluids before you leave. Down a large water and a gatorade the night before. (I know, I know, you will be up al night peeing) and then do it again before you leave. Really helps!

Old 05-26-2008, 05:25 PM
msh134
Road Warrior

a midwestern boy who now lives in az needs to know what a road gator is please!

Quick Reply: Crossing the desert at 110 degrees...