General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First cross country trip - weather concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:07 AM
DanTMan
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: First cross country trip - weather concerns

You'll be fine, just follow the advice of your fellow HD Forum members. Don't push too hard, particularly if you're not used to riding distance.

Stop as often as you need to, especially if the weather's bad or if you're tired.

I'm planning on retiring myself next May and have a trip to Alaska planned to visit our son & his wife. I'm shipping the bike to Seattle, riding the 2500 mi. to Anchorage, then riding home (Chicago) via Washington, Oregon, California andRte 66.

Be careful and enjoy it- best wishes for a long, healthy, and happy retirement.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,865 Likes on 808 Posts

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

rain eventually works down your neck and back, that sucks,, wear bandanas or motel towel.
Not with one of these:
http://www.bikebandit.com/product/6759

I have one, and I tuck the collar of my rain jacket up under the lower part of the mask, then pull the drawstring. Keeps ALL the rain from getting into my jacket via the neck oopening.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-26-2008, 11:47 AM
ILTim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only been in real rain once, coming home some 350 miles from home. Forecast was isolated thunderstorms later in the afternoon, so I hit the interstate to try and get as close to home as possible before my drenching. I did not have raingear, just leather jacket and gloves, and helmet. When I finally hit the rain the temps dropped to low 60's, sure enough spray from tires on wet roads SOAKED my ankles thru knees and then sucked heat out of me pretty quick. That was before it started raining on me. The rain itself was not unpleasant. I can imagine that two-lane highways would have been a TON more pleasant, plus keeping the speed up with traffic made some of the cruves a little scary, not knowing really how much traction I have in the wet.

I stopped at a McDonalds for coffee and waited an hour for things to clear up a bit, but my jeans barely dried. Jeans suck when wet.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:22 PM
lucky520
Advanced

If you have XM you could get the extra weather and traffic subsscription? Might help.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:04 PM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your time, have fun, it'll be an adventure, you'll have lots of stories.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Hi Scorpio,

You'll have a great time. Two wheels is the "only" way to see the country as far as I'm concerned. As others have said, rain isn't that big a deal as long as you're prepaired. The main thing I'd add is, make sure you've got a good quality rain suit that designed for motorcycling. What you'll find at WalMart won't do. Anything you'll find at a good quality dealership is more what you'll want to look for.

Clammy: that mask you referred is really neat. I've not seen one like that before. I've got the link book marked. Thanks for posting!

Best of luck & Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM
iann8ik
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leave the laptop at home - get an iPhone or Treo for your internet access. the finger wiper things are kinda handy but i usually leave it at home to guarantee some rain. try this animated radar on a cell phone http://m.nbc5i.com/wap/weather/radar/animated/(won't work on a PC).