General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First cross country trip - weather concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Jager
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First cross country trip - weather concerns

I just got back from a 5-day, 2000 mile trip with some buddies. We got rain on four of those days. It was still a terrific trip!

My suggestion is not to worry about it. On a cross-country trip you're almost certainly going to experience some rain. Might be a little. Might be a lot. Just depends upon the vagaries of mother nature at the time you're on the road.

A lot of folks (including some of my riding pals) spend a lot of time trying to anticipate the weather, the notion - largely illusory - that they can then "manage" it. I tend to be more philosophical, simply accepting whatever comes. Figure you're going to get some sunshine; and you're going to get some rain. It's all good.

The key to being ok with riding in the rain is having good gear. Everything has to be waterproof, but breathable - from your head to your feet. You'll want a full-face helmet (even if you have along a half-helmet for sunny days), Goretex gloves, Goretex boots, and either a high-quality (and breathable) rain suit or a dedicated riding suit, a la Aerostich. Good gear will cost you, but will pay off in spades down the road.

Enjoy the trip. I'm jealous!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:42 AM
bacon225
Advanced

Don't make it such a big deal that you get all up tight about the weather.
Just ride the ride keep your eyes on the sky.
Rain is no big deal hard heavy thunder storms can be.
If you see a big black wall up ahead change your route or take cover and wait it out.
Last summer I road 9,300 miles during a 21 day trip we only had to ride in the rain about 30 min.
Either drove around or waited out the others.
Get a early start and get most of your miles in before the late afternoon storms hit.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:01 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

rain eventually works down your neck and back, that sucks,, wear bandanas or motel towel.
Glasses suck as they soon fog,,, make sure you have a spare set that are CLEAR lens.
my long trip this year, I'm packing a snap on windshield that will go onto my 1/2 helmet, for the rain.
I hope this will help my vision over glasses, and prevent the cheek sting that gets annoying after a few hours!

when your boots get wet, stuff news papers in them overnight,, works well on drying.

the real hard down poors,, pull over under shelter, as they only last a little while

dont sweat it,,, make the best of it!!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from a 1000 mile round trip to Michigan. On Friday when I left, I was hoping to miss the storm I saw on the weather on the internet, but no luck. Like others said, I saw I was driving into it and put the rain gear on just in time. For the next 100 miles it was pouring and it sucked, but I got thru it and it was still a great ride. Weather is going to happen riding, so just try and be prepared. Have the right gear and it's not bad. Take sun screen and use it like others have said. Good luck on your trip.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Plan your riding day and leave a lot earlier in the morning. The morning temperatures are the best of the day and you'll have several hours of clear riding before the boomers start building. You can do your 400 miles from 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and hole-up in a hotel if you want.

Have a nice ride! Jackson & WY in July will be great.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scorpio49

...Your advice would be appreciated.
Pretty much what's been stated already.

Storms tend to build as the day grows longer. So I usually get on the road early and have most of my miles done by early afternoon when bad weather is forecasted.

I too run with a GPS and mine has NEXRAD radar...really helps me see what's happening all around.

FWIW, I (along with one other BMW rider) will be leaving Atlanta July 12 heading to the Black Hills. If you think you might want to ride along, let me know and I'll get some details to you.

Have fun and ride safe!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 AM
2Sore
Road Master

Load this into your laptop.....
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/

Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 AM
flakdog
Road Captain

Like the others have said, the right gear is the answer. Showers are no big deal. If you encounter some heavy thunderstorms watch for hail and gust fronts. Most of the time the hail will be close to the core of the storm, near the main inflow area. Not a great place to be.

FD

Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

scorpio,

By the sounds of your intial email I think you've got it nailed and I am excited for you and jealous. It sound like whatyou've done or have thought about how it should be done sounds like good common sense on your part. Having just come back from mini 5 day ride myself I found that if it starts raining and depending how torential it is or isn't you inevitable can ride right out the other side of it.One day it wasn't raining but it was 40-50 mph winds all day non stop. Had it been raining in combination with the wind I may have called it an early day, I don't know. It would be a read and react common sense thing. I also found that my Ultra windshield and lowers kept me pretty dry.

Ultimately you make decisions on the raodbased upon if you feel safe and capable and okay with what ever the circumstances may be at any given moment.

Most hotels have afor public use CPU in the lobby and that is how I would monitor the next days weather. 3-400 miles a day sounds perfect and just enough that you will enjoy the ride instead of doing 5-700 miles and that can feel like a grind sometimes.

You lucky dog! Have fun and be safe.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:37 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll need some good rain gear, gaiters and a helmet with a faceshield. Without the faceshield, you'll have severe fogging problems with just glasses. You'll also want to take a couple of Aleve's in the morning. Powder your feet and *** with Gold bond every morning too.

Quick Reply: First cross country trip - weather concerns