General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei J-Wing vs. Similar/Cheaper Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 03:40 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Shoei J-Wing vs. Similar/Cheaper Helmets

I want to get a 3/4 helmet with a flip-up face guard and it looks like the Shoei J-Wing is about the best buy out there for that style in terms of quality, at least from what reviews I've read and owners have had to say about it. But there's that little thing of the price tag...$346. http://www.helmetharbor.com/Products...roductID/72090

There's a multitude of similar ones out there, like the Z1R Ace ($90), HJC CL-33 ($90) and FS-3 ($140), KBC OF-S ($90), and the list goes on. Is the Shoei really that good, or is it just paying for a name that's got a good rep, and hype? I know some follow the "how much is your head worth" train of thought, but I don't necessarily buy into that. These are all DOT certified helmets, and I've heard generally good things about them...it's not like I'm trying to get you guys to justify a Skid Lid for me.

Sorry if this is just anothe repeat thread, I do try to be specific in my questions so it's not just another generalized "choose my helmet" thread. And if you choose not to wear a helmet...roger, I got it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:09 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Shoei J-Wing vs. Similar/Cheaper Helmets

You guys hate this topic that much, eh?

Old 05-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have an HJC AC-3 which is Snell and DOT approved. It would be hard for me to justify bying a helmet for twice the price just to get the name. But hey, I did buy a Harley and not a Honda; go figure.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:00 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

The search function actually worked for once...and on something specific. I specifically looked up the HJC AC-3 after seeing it on a few dealer's websites, and it appears that a lot of people here have it, especially over on the Touring board. Seems like it's got all the features of the Schoei, but without the name and corresponding pricetag.

Noticed HJC has come out with the FS-3 recently as well...seems like it's just a newer version of the AC-3.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:16 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont know about a helmet with a flip up front but i have a carbon fiber and kevlar helmet from advanced carbon composites. lite as a beanie but dot approved. co. is first class custom made to fit you. 175 is the base price for a extended 1/2 shell

Old 05-25-2008, 10:59 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rockon

You guys hate this topic that much, eh?

Yeah...It's pretty much at the top of the "not this **** again" list...

Old 05-26-2008, 05:06 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

It seems like half the forum has those ACC helmets...I know they're great in terms of being low-profile and custom fit, but I just don't see how they'll actually cushion my skull if I smack my head coming off the bike.[&:]

ORIGINAL: blueflht

i dont know about a helmet with a flip up front but i have a carbon fiber and kevlar helmet from advanced carbon composites. lite as a beanie but dot approved. co. is first class custom made to fit you. 175 is the base price for a extended 1/2 shell

Old 05-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't speak for the model Shoei your looking at, but have worn the X-Eleven and Shoei's motocross helmets for years....Bottom line IMO when it comes to helmets you get what you pay for..Shoei and Arai are widely regarded as two of the best on the market for fit, finish, comfort, and most important protection...

Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A number of studies have concluded that price is not a good indicator of helmet quality or effectiveness. The Snell rating has even been called into question as creating a helmet that is stiffer but less safe than a DOT only helmet.

My next helmet choice will be based on comfort, looks, DOT rating, and price.The Korean made HJCs get great reviewsfrom both experts and users. Mywife just got afullface HJC cl-sp with both Snell andDOT ratings for $150.Saved$250 over a Shoei we looked at which wasn't as comfortable.

Until I see some proof that a $300-600 helmet is worth the extra money in terms of safety, I'm not buying into that "you get what you pay for" and "how much is your head worth" BS.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:39 AM
reefrider
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

DOT rating, Fit, Comfort, Style......Try many to check before you buy.
RR

Quick Reply: Shoei J-Wing vs. Similar/Cheaper Helmets