General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No longer a fan of Kuryakyn products.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:05 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default No longer a fan of Kuryakyn products.

The story, short and sweet. Bought a set of their ISO grips for my '07 Fatboy. Been about a year. About a month ago, during a trip to AZ from CA, my left grip glue came undone and had to stop by a shop in Palm Desert, CA to get it re glued.

Today, after washing my bike after work, I was riding down the five when I had no throttle response. turns out the factory applied glue on the throttle grip gave out and the grip came of the throttle! [:@]

After two glue breakdowns about a month apart, I no longer feel confidant recommending or using these grips. no reason thi should occur. You get what you pay for... just mad Ill have to shell out $80 for a set of HD brand grips. If only the stock grips weren't such a POS.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: No longer a fan of Kuryakyn products.

so the glue failed and it's the grips fault? Makes sense to me [8D]

Old 05-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ebeattie

The story, short and sweet. Bought a set of their ISO grips for my '07 Fatboy. Been about a year. About a month ago, during a trip to AZ from CA, my left grip glue came undone and had to stop by a shop in Palm Desert, CA to get it re glued.

Today, after washing my bike after work, I was riding down the five when I had no throttle response. turns out the factory applied glue on the throttle grip gave out and the grip came of the throttle! [:@]

After two glue breakdowns about a month apart, I no longer feel confidant recommending or using these grips. no reason thi should occur. You get what you pay for... just mad Ill have to shell out $80 for a set of HD brand grips. If only the stock grips weren't such a POS.
Hell, I dunno. My POS stock grips have 55,000 trouble free miles in3.5 years and came with the bike at no extra charge.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Talking to a guy at a local dealer today who had the same complaint about Kuryakyn grips which had been installed by the dealer. Never heard of anything bad about them till today. First there and now here. Go figure.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:40 PM
57springer57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a defect

Old 05-24-2008, 09:50 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

A defect in the design for sure! After they slid off, you can see where the glue was and was not contacting the grip. Large patches were not being covered and grips were installed following the directions included with them. The Stock grips were waaay to small to be comfortable; hands kept going numb. Rarely had that issue with these grips but what good are they if the grip glue fails?

Glue failed due to poor design of inside diameter surface so yeah its the grips fault.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:00 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never been a fan of Krappyaken.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:24 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: ebeattie

A defect in the design for sure! After they slid off, you can see where the glue was and was not contacting the grip. Large patches were not being covered and grips were installed following the directions included with them. The Stock grips were waaay to small to be comfortable; hands kept going numb. Rarely had that issue with these grips but what good are they if the grip glue fails?

Glue failed due to poor design of inside diameter surface so yeah its the grips fault.
That makes a bit more sense

Old 05-24-2008, 10:50 PM
KIPPO
Stage II

Yep. Had the same problem recently here in Oz. The glue is crap. I used a 2 part adhesive instead, you will have to chisel em off.
It's a bit of a concern given you are hanging on for your life, you would think the glue would be top shelf.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Harley Stan
Tourer

I think I got lucky, the glue that came with my ISO grips wasin a defectivebottle, it was solid as a rock beforeI could use it.So I went to the dealer and purchased some grip glue. I have only had the grips a few months but no problems.

Quick Reply: No longer a fan of Kuryakyn products.