General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No longer a fan of Kuryakyn products.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:33 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: No longer a fan of Kuryakyn products.

All they really had to do was wash the bike a few times. glue woulda come off hella fast!

Old 05-25-2008, 02:12 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the problems. I hadKuryakyn grips on my Dyna for years with no problems and used the glue in the kit. The grips are great, I agree, just get another glue and re-install them.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:17 PM
USMC7236
Banned

The glueis "removable" so the grips or bars can be changed out. I'd venture your installer is more to blame than the product. Had no problems with ISO grips on the past two bikes I've had. JB Weld the suckers in place if you want themto stay there forever.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
TexasFatboy
Tourer

Same thing happened here...glue came loose, damn throttle grip seperated. I ended up going with HD grips and havent had a problem since.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:55 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me last week. I got caught in two days of torrential downpour inCajun Countryand my left grip came off in my hand when I accelerated from a stop. Damn near dropped the bike and would have if I had not been loaded and the bag on the passenger seat kept me from falling backwards. I think water got through the rubber and chrome and dissolved the glue. The inside of the grip was wet. The grips were installed by the dealer for the previous owner so I do not know if Kury glue was used.

I rode about 700 miles holding the grip in place and after I got home and cleaned up the bike I used hair spray to stick the grip and it seems to be holding but I have not had a chance to try it in the rain yet. I used hair spray because I want to be able to remove the grips if I change bars.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:04 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went the extra distance and opened the left side switch group. I then installed them with the lip inside the switch group, even if they come loose they aign't coming off. BTW they haven't moved in 31K and 15 months!

Old 05-25-2008, 04:13 PM
cornishman
Road Master

The glue with mine had "gone off" in the tube when i bought them, could be a shelf life thing?
I put mine on the old way with bar tape, dead easy took 5 minutes, much easier to line up the grips without the glue gripping.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:17 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's all in the prep. If you don't take the time to clean the inside of the grip really good the glue joint will fail. Not really a design fault , but more human error in the install, either personal or factory as in the throttle separation.
Damn two way tape failed on my fuel gauge wire retainer on the bottom of the tank. Do I buy a Yamaha to solve the problem?Nope, water proof two face tape did the job. A more elastic water proof adhesive as in rubber cement would give better results on these grips, or any grips for that matter.
Ron

Old 05-25-2008, 04:21 PM
fonemann
Road Captain

I like to leave mine loose, that way I have 2 throttles

Old 05-25-2008, 06:53 PM
0204665J
Tourer

I think alot of their products are sub-standard, but they sure do look nice. The fairing mounted mirrors shake and it is acknowlege by them as a problem. Their expensive cruise boards rattle due to a poor design. Their ISO grips need to be glued instead of using the clutch assembly like HD uses. Their initial problems with their linesense plates are well documented.

I will not buy anymore from them.

Quick Reply: No longer a fan of Kuryakyn products.