General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dayton, Ohio Biker down...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dayton, Ohio Biker down...

We lost a brother this week and it happened at the same intersection and in the same way my buddy got hit, fortunately my buddysurvived. The woman (girl) who hit him was on a cell phone and said "she turned left when she saw a gap between the cars"that gap was my friend. John wasn't so lucky. Oh yeah, my bud wasn't wearing a helmet either....I thought I should mentionthatbecause it'sseems to be critical to the story line.

Ride well,

Jim

Police: Motorcyclist dead after collision with car
By Lucas Sullivan Staff Writer[/align]Thursday, May 22, 2008 [/align]RIVERSIDE — One man is dead after a car allegedly turned in front of him, striking his motorcycle, according to police.

John Harowski Jr., 60, 215 Deeds Ave., was pronounced dead at the scene at about 6:40 p.m. Wednesday, May 21, after being struck at the intersection of Old Troy Pike and Needmore Road. He was not wearing a helmet.

Lisa Were, of Huber Heights, was heading south on Old Troy Pike and tried to turn left, according to the Ohio Highway Patrol. Her 1997 Toyota Camry cut in front of Harowski, colliding with his 1996 Harley Davidson motorcycle. The crash is still being investigated, and charges against Were are pending, according to the patrol.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:53 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dayton, Ohio Biker down...

Man that's bad - glad your bud is OK and RIP John. If that b*t*h was on the mobby then I know where I would like to insert it so she'll be needing it surgically removed! In the UK we do not have a turn on 'red' option which helps cut down a few of these kind of incidents.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:42 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,453 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Very sorry to hear this again. Cell phones need to be banned from drivers use. Some places are getting the picture and are doing just that. Don't wanna hear anybody whine that they gotta have one while driving. Pull the f--k over if you need to be a slave to the damn thing.
Funny how we survived without the things for so many years without them. Now everybody thinks they can drive and talk and it doesn't effect the driving. BS. Prayers for this brother.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:04 AM
DrSmaggs
Tourer

There are right of way laws being passed in AZ to take care of that sort of thing.

I know it's not any consolation for a biker that doesn't survive, but it makes a punishment for the cager, as opposed to the less than $200 dollar fine it used to be.

I just hope a law that actually means something for right of way for anyone will be another thing that makes everyone think about what they're doing on the road for a change.

*has a moment of silence*

Old 05-23-2008, 06:40 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a buddy who lived in that area for a few years, and i live 30 minutes from dayton.I will do my best to avoid this intersection...

Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 AM
irishviking
Cruiser

RIP

Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Amazing, some idiot kills somebody as she'stalking on the phone while driving. I'm sure it was an important call too......like who was on Jerry Springer that day.

But the worst is the idiots text messaging while driving! [:@]

RIP.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:36 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 38,766 Likes on 13,222 Posts

EVERY time I ride to F&S I feel like I'm risking getting in an accident,it's my favorite shop but sometimes go to Aces&8's just to avoid the area.Sorry about your friend.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:41 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

RIP

Michigan has proposed legislation to ban hand held device if your over 21 (hands free allowed), and ban all devices if your under 21.

But how will they tell? Will police be able to search you for a phone if your in an accident and ask the phone company if you were on the phone? I'm afraid it will just make liar's out of people and it still won't bring the dead back.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Biggerfoot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Dayton too and was disappointed in the news coverage. It seems they were blaming the biker and not the idiot on the cell phone. One local station did a special segment on helmets. They needed to focus on the woman and her lack of attention. I think their mis-directed attention is worthy of a letter to the editor of the DDN.

I was not at Jack *** Flats that night and assumed he was going/coming from there as I travel through the same intersection when I go there (I plan on going Sunday).

Last year, I made an effort to count how many people caused me to perform an evasive maneuver and all but one was due to a young female on a cell phone. The other one was an elderly man that ran a stop sign.

I am sorry for your loss.

Quick Reply: Dayton, Ohio Biker down...